Magellan handheld GPS. Can I get lake charts?

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Using it now to keep track of where on the lake I am, and GPS speed for wakeboarding.

I have downloaded maps of land, but does anyone know if you can download water charts with depth contours?

Triton 400, i think is the model I have.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Magellan handheld GPS. Can I get lake charts?

I doubt that most inland lakes have depth charts associated with them. I know of only a few paper depth charts/maps for Oklahoma lakes, but I doubt there is any GPS database. You'll have better luck with it in Texas, but I doubt it'll be too much different.

haulnazz15

Captain

I would be interested to see if those GPS databases help more than just loaction/waypoint data. It doesn't seem likely that Magellan (or LakeMaster) sent someone out with a depth sounder to a dozen or more inland lakes per state and did a thorough job of mapping the lake topography. If all you need is a way to see points of interest around the lake (marinas, etc) then it's probably sufficient.

eavega

Lieutenant

I have the Triton 400, and it will accept Raster maps which you can create with a piece of software called RPMmaker. Luckily for me, our local boating lake is managed by Core of Engineers, and they distribute maps of the lake (including contour lines) for free in electronic format. A little work on my end to mark Lat and Long on three spots per map, and I have a highly accurate map of my lake. If you can get charts or maps in electronic format, the RPMmaker software can help you make the maps you are looking for.

Rgds

hostage

Lieutenant

If you have a smartphone, chances are you can get Navionics. This has GPS, tracking, points of local interests, and topographical maps. They sell different version for $10 each. I got two versions Great Lakes and US Lakes East. The sad thing is I found US Lakes East contain Great Lakes and more. I love it and use it on my iphone. It also has phone numbers of marinas/baitshops and you can inlay it with goole maps etc.

-Hostage

scooper77515

My brother was trying to convince me to purchase a XM/Sirius satellite radio, and being pigheaded as I am I refused, stating, "I can probably figure out a way to get it through my Droid cell phone."

I did.

Now, Why the heck didn't I think about using my cell phone for GPS/lake maps? :confused:

Good idea :D

nlain

Commander

I have seen the Magellan lake charts in use, they have great detail. All lakes are not COE controlled and do not have the raster charts, and at least where I am if you want a COE chart you will have to buy it. You can get the Lakes South charts on a SD card for $99.99, That is Texas to the Atlantic Ocean.

scooper77515

I ended up ordering the Navionics for the Droid. It seems to do all that I need it to do.

The map of our lake comes up really nice and clear, and since we live close to the lake, I can see my little triangle where we live over on the shore, so I am sure the maps will work for us to keep us on the channels.

I messed with settings to change meters to feet (with option of fathoms), and km/h to miles (with option of nautical miles), and a couple other settings, so I am sure it will list my current speed and depth. Also has an alarm (apparently) that goes off when I get less than 6 feet deep, but will have to verify that when it goes off. Also has the abilty to record trails, so I am sure it will do all I need it to and then some.

Only $13.50, and doesn't need internet connection to work. It takes a while to download, but it is fully loaded onto my phone. And has all the major lakes in the southern quarter of the US.

I will give it a try on the water on friday. Taking half a day off to take my dad out on the boat. And will try to report back on how well it works.

hostage

Lieutenant

My brother was trying to convince me to purchase a XM/Sirius satellite radio, and being pigheaded as I am I refused, stating, "I can probably figure out a way to get it through my Droid cell phone."

I did.

Now, Why the heck didn't I think about using my cell phone for GPS/lake maps? :confused:

Good idea :D

My work here is done :)

Nice to know I finally helped someone after all the help others have given me. iBoats has saved me many headaches and money.

scooper77515

Yeah! Thanks for that suggestion.

Turned it on while driving to work on the road that goes right along the edge of the lake and it does shows gps speed in the bottom corner in .1 increments. I could zoom out a click and see the water and it also shows some of the roads, but i wouldnt use this to replace my street navigation app.

So all-in-all it seems to work great and well worth the $13.50!

Much better than the $99 Magellan was trying to charge me to add lake maps to my Triton handheld gps unit, and actually much more user-friendly!

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

You will like Navionics. I bought it earlier this summer, but I rarely used it because I know my local AZ lakes really well. Later in the summer I was on vacation with my family at Jackson lake in Grand Teton National Park. We decided to rent a boat to do some exploring. I was a little nervous because Jackson lake was a good size body of water that I had never been on. Then I remembered the Navionics app on my phone, and I was able to use it to navigate with confidence. Later in the summer I used the app during my first trip to Lake Mead. I don't use the app when I am at my primary lakes, but it has come in really handy when I visit a new lake.

scooper77515

I am pretty confident on our lake, but the "channel", which is really the old river bed from before they dammed it up to make the lake, is very squirrely.

So there are times when to stay in deep water (over 20') you need to go exactly 90 degrees away from the direction you want to go. I definitely want to stay in 6' or more water at all times, but a log in 6' could be high enough to hit, so a log in 20' is much safer, so when I am running all ballsout, I try to stay in the deep water.

But, even knowing my lake pretty well, there are a couple spots where I go from 25' to 6' REAL QUICK and get nervous, so with the maps, I can better learn to stay in the channel.

Plus, now I will feel more confident going up into some of the sloughs and rivers in search of fish and shore-line restaurants!