Wiring problem with stereo and vhf radios

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have just added one of these Fuze Blocks to my boat and just started wiring it up. I connected my stereo radio to the fuze block, and the radio works great. Nice and clear with no static at all. So I am listening to the radio while I prepare the wiring for the VHF. As soon as I connect the ground wire for the VHF to the fuze block, the stereo gets a shhhhhhhhh in it. It isn't very loud, but certainly loud enough to be irritating. It stays constant when I connect the red wire to the fuze block too. Doesn't matter if the VHF is on or off.

I know that I have several things to look into, but I was wondering what the likely candidates might be. Here is some additional information.

1. The power cables from the deep cycle battery (I think it is 12ga but might be 14ga) run across the back of the boat along the upper edge of the transom to the starboard side where it then runs along side of the wiring harness for the rest of the boat.

2. The fuze block is mounted in a small storage compartment just below the helm. The Stereo and the VHF are also mounted in or very near.

3. The stereo (a Pyle of . . .) is mounted only about 4"-6" away from the fuze block.

4. The VHF radio is mounted on a sidewall that is only a 3/4" piece of plywood away from the stereo.

5. The VHF and the Stereo share the same antenna. This is one of the Shakespeare 8' fiberglass antennas, and it is mounted just outside the console on the side of the boat, so maybe a foot and a half away from the fuze block.

6. The antenna cable is coiled behind the console area as close the the gunwale as I could make it, and is then connected to a signal splitter. The antenna cables for the VHF and the Stereo are connected to the splitter.

7. I have not done much cleanup of the wiring yet and so things are still pretty jumbled up. The problem is that there isn't a whole lot of space to separate things anyway. But even when I try to manually separate any of the wiring, nothing changes. The shh is constant.

8. While I was typing all this up, I just thought of this. I have a dual battery setup with the batteries connected to a Perko switch. At the moment, the selector is set to "both", so I can check to see what happens when I change it.

9. There is nothing else that is turned on except the stereo. The ignition is off, the VHF isn't even fully connected (when I take the red power wire back off again), no accessories on, no lights, no fans, or anything else.

10. Before adding the fuze block, I had kludged everything to be run to the Accessory switch on the console. So battery power would come from the boats "normal" wiring harness to the fuze, then to the switch on the dash, and then I had a mess of stuff connected to the other pole of the switch. All ground wires for the radios and whatnot were connected to the gauge panel ground. With this setup, the stereo was as clear as a bell with no shhh, and it played very nicely with the VHF.

11. Not sure if this matters or not, but the VHF is a 25 year old Apelco that was cheap even back in 1987. But it has worked great all that time.

12. My Humminbird Fish finder power is also connected to this fuze block, but at the moment the FF head isn't even in the boat so I don't know how well it is going to play with the two radios yet.

Man! I sure did type a lot. Sorry about that. But any suggestions are welcome except the suggestion to NOT write so much. :D

Wayne

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Wiring problem with stereo and vhf radios

First of its a "fuse" block :)

Where is the ground to the fuse block wired to? it should be wired directly to the negative side of the battery, no exceptions.

It sounds to me like its probably going to be a bad ground, and the vhf is hunting for a ground to operate correctly.

Also how are you combining your vhf and radio? This may also be your problem depending on the method, even if a proper switch is being used any further connections in your vhf antenna will reduce its effectiveness.

Bill

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I got 90% of it worked out. I'm not exactly sure what "the" fix was if there was a single cause. I spent some time going through the wiring and getting everything separated as much as possible, tying things up or anchoring them down, re-routing what I could, and I took apart all connections and made sure I still had good tight connections. Good enough for now, but I may look into a separate antenna for the stereo at a later date.

Splat - the way this fuse block works is this. On one end (the top looking at the picture in the link I gave) is a terminal for the ground wire. In my case, this ground wire goes back to the negative terminal on my deep cycle battery. On the other end is a terminal for the hot wire which is coming in from the positive terminal on the battery. Under the cover of the fuse block are 12 terminal screws for accessories. The top 6, 3 on each side, are all for ground connections and are on a common buss with the main ground wire from the battery. The bottom 6 terminals, again 3 on each side, are designed so that the current flow comes into one of the six individual and separate terminal screws, through a fuse that is in-line with only one of those six terminals, and then out to the main positive terminal that goes back to the battery. About the only thing I think I'll change is to run the hot wire to a switch on my panel, and then to the fuse block so I can quickly turn everything off.

As for the antenna, the cable coming from the antenna is connected to one of these. Unfortunately, the splitter box itself has to be within about a foot of the VHF radio because the lead coming out of it is short. That puts the splitter right next to the stereo and within about 6" of the fuse block. That also means that the cables that go to the radios both have to pass right on top of the stereo. Oh well. We do the best we can with what we are given.

I hope I explained things well,

Wayne

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why are you using this splitter? Why not send the antenna straight into the VHF?

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Because I only have the one antenna (for now) and it has to feed both the stereo radio and the VHF radio.

Wayne