1996 Volvo Penta 5.7GLi Fuel Pump Problem

rcl

Recruit
Hello:

Boat: 1997 Wellcraft Eclipse 240SC
Engine: 1996 Volvo Penta 5.7GLi DP; Model No PLKDCE
Fuel Delivery System; Low Pressure Fuel Pump and Throttle Body Injection (TBI)
Problem: Fuel pump does not activate when ignition switch is turned on.

Troubleshoot:
1) Battery Voltage; 12V confirmed
2)Disconnect fuel pump connector wiring (yellow/w-blue stripe, and black), ignition switch on; no voltage confirmed.
3) Check voltage at fuel pump circuit breaker w/ ignition switch on; 12v confirmed.
4) Remove fuel pump diodes and check voltage at terminals w/ ignition switch on; 12v confirmed at the two perpendicular terminals (don't know what the terminal nos. are but the wires are yellow and red respectively). Cleaned oxidation off diode terminal blades and plugged diodes back in.
5) Checked voltage at alternator connections (Mando 12v, 65 amp model) w/ ignition switch on and w/ voltmeter black lead connected to ground (black wire) terminal; Orange terminal: 12v confirmed; Purple/White terminal, 10.3v confirmed, Purple/White jumper terminal, 10.3v confirmed.
6) Volt meter at dashboard instrument panel reads 10+ volts.

Engine cranks strong, but does not start or fire. No audible sound of fuel pump energizing when ignition switch is turned on prior to rotating switch to the start position.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks,

RCL

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 1996 Volvo Penta 5.7GLi Fuel Pump Problem

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

A fully charged battery reads 12.6 volts so either the battery isn't fully charged (or is defective), there is still corrosion somewhere, or both.

rcl

Recruit
Re: 1996 Volvo Penta 5.7GLi Fuel Pump Problem

NYbo:

Thanks for the response. I am taking the battery in to have it tested tomorrow. I'll post the results.

Thanks,

RCL

Fun Times

Staff member
Chances are going to be slim as rcl last activity was back on September 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM and all his email notifications are set to off.

Slightly Stewpid, check your private messages found in the upper right side/corner of the page lit up in red....Thanks.