tranducer mounting on a pontoon boat???

ashlo108

Recruit
Just bought a pontoon boat and the tranducer is mounted on the back of the transom right by the lower end of the motor. Problem is that above idle speed I lose depth and bottom display, I figured out that it is cavitating because of the water turbulance. I was thinking about mounting it farther up the transom under the deck and in front of the motor. Will this work? Is there less turbulance at that location than at the rear of the boat? Thanks in advanced for any help!!!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: tranducer mounting on a pontoon boat???

Just bought a pontoon boat and the tranducer is mounted on the back of the transom right by the lower end of the motor. Problem is that above idle speed I lose depth and bottom display, I figured out that it is cavitating because of the water turbulance. I was thinking about mounting it farther up the transom under the deck and in front of the motor. Will this work? Is there less turbulance at that location than at the rear of the boat? Thanks in advanced for any help!!!

Not real sure of what you're discribing but if i'm reading right THATS THE WRONG PLACE for a transducer :confused:
It should be on a bracket thats welded to one of your 'toons -

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: tranducer mounting on a pontoon boat???

Here is where a transducer should be mounted. If your tubes do not have a bracket like this, your local welding shop can add one.

TransducerBracket.jpg