portable fish finders?

zeb272

Cadet
I am looking at portable fish finders, Since I am married and have 4 kids, I really want something verisitale. I want to be able to use it on my bluegill boat and be able to use it in the ice shanty. I have been looking at 120 Fishin' Buddy and other bag units. Does any one have expierence with these, I would like to know battery life, is it better to have a rechargable 12 volt, or use 8 aa's Thanks Zeb

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: portable fish finders?

If they are still made by Bottom Line I would look for another brand. But then my experience with them goes back several years so maybe they have improved. Personally I wouldn't give them another chance.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Zeb,

I just picked up a Humminbird 120 Fishin Buddy for this season. So far it's been working great. I do most of my fishing from my canoe in shallow waters (ponds & lakes) so the sidefinder feature comes in real handy. I've been out three weekends and the batteries are still working. I don't leave the finder on all day. I just use it to check the different hot spots to see if anything is there. I'd take a quess at about 3-4 hours each day.

One thing to keep in mind with it though... Not recommended for trolling to fast as it bends and vibrates. Even with heavy paddling my canoe it stresses it out. It is fine for "slower" navigating, searching out the weedbeds or underwater structures for any fish.

This is my first fishfinder so I can't compare it to anything.

I too needed a portable to use in my canoe and motorboat. The sidefinder feature was definately the clencher since I'm frequently in 3-6 feet of water hunting for bass. ;)

Chuck7

Seaman Apprentice

I have the Hummingbird 110..it's my 5th depth finder..It's wonderful..simple and has put me on bass..

Bought it form Cabelas