Chart plotter

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
I am trying to figure out how to use a chart plotter GPS. What does it do other than show where the boat is and where it has been.

Can you enter the destination and will the chart plotter then decide on the best route to take? I am in the 1000 islands and going from one place to another, when I press the "GOTO" button, all I get is a straight line, ignoring all the islands, shoals, rocks etc.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chart plotter

Can you enter the destination and will the chart plotter then decide on the best route to take? I am in the 1000 islands and going from one place to another, when I press the "GOTO" button, all I get is a straight line, ignoring all the islands, shoals, rocks etc.
No, a marine GPS only knows how to get from Point A to Point B by the shortest route. It has no idea what's between you and your destination. There are GPS units that will calculate the route base on a min. depth and min. clearance but your talking a good bit more money than your everyday marine GPS unit

Some chart plotters can plug into a computer. The charts are on a program that come with the plotter. You can plan a route by adding waypoints along the path and name the route when you are finished. Like boat ramp in or out, or "my slip in or out". And save it to the chart plotter. When you enter the route it will guide you to each waypoint along the way.

If you fish and get into a school while drifting I like to hit the MOB button so I can go back to the spot when we drift off the school.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a old gps that came with my first boat. It is so old that i can't update the software. I use it, along with my charts, as a backup to my I-Phone navigational chart application.

This gps gets set up to mark the channel and the bouys back to where i put the boat in.

The important part here is even with electronics that can fail, learn to read the charts.