Speed too fast on minnkota Vector 65

Jam1627

Recruit
I have an older (2000 I beleive)minn Kota vector 65lb transom mount 24v. I recently put it back on my boat and wired it for the 24v system. It has 3 speeds in reverse and 5 in forward. The problem is there seems to be way too much speed 1 is fast and three or five is extremely fast. I put it down to 12v but did not seem too help much. So basically there is no slow speed. Any ideas would be helpful.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Speed too fast on minnkota Vector 65

Well -- 500 HP in a Volkswagen Beetle would create the same problem. How big is this boat on which this motor is installed? This may very likely be one of those situations where bigger is not better. Provided there is nothing electrically wrong with the motor the only way to slow the boat would be to install a smaller diameter prop or one with less pitch. Seems a waste though because you are attempting to turn a powerful motor into a whimp. The cheap way to do this would be to cut an inch off the prop making it less efficient.

Jam1627

Recruit

I actually have a vector 80lb that is in the shop right now. I have not had it in the water but know from my 80 and front motor that the speed on this one is way too high. My others you can count the rotations on low but this is just a blur right now. When it was on the boat previously it didn't spin this fast on low.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Then there is an apparent speed control module failure.