Digital Fuel Gauge

2ifbyc

Seaman
Can anyone recommend a decent digital fuel gauge that is fairly accurate. I have an older boat (1990) so it doesn't have that NMEA stuff or whatever it is. I have a spot open on my dash where an old round depth finder was and I thought a good fuel gauge would be a good idea. That regular fuel gauge kinda stinks.. I have a nice gps/fishfinder that i just got that has an option for digital gauges but I dont think I can hook my boat to that (Raymarine A50D). Thanks for any help...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Digital Fuel Gauge

Just because you have a digital readout does not mean you have accuracy. The fuel sender in the tank has that job. Replace the sender with one of the more accurate versions (no float arm) and go boating.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

2ifbyc

Seaman

I know for sure that the Raymarine unit is NMEA 2000 compatable and it has the digital instrumentation built in, which includes a fuel gauge. I was told by the guy at the marine store that my engine was not NMEA 2000 compatable. Is that wrong? I would love to have that digital instrumentation on the raymarine unit working.

NYBo

Admiral

You would be better served by a fuel flow meter, IMO.

2ifbyc

Seaman

Hey NYBO, could you recommend one? How accurate are they? Are they easy to install?

NYBo

Admiral

Floscan is one of the standard-bearers. But as you can see, they are quite pricey. Installation is fairly easy- a sensor is installed in the fuel line and wired to the head unit, along with the usual power leads.

However, you should be able to get a flow sensor that works with your Raymarine unit. That would be the most cost-effective option, now that I think about it. With a fuel flow readout, you can fine-tune your throttle and trim setting to optimize fuel economy, quickly recouping the cost of the sensor. Even a separate Floscan unit would offer a quick payback if you use a lot of fuel.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Here's one way to display fuel levels on your Raymarine unit using their proprietary SeaTalk ng backbone system: Set up the SeaTalk ng backbone system. Using a drop down T-connector (or a 5-port hub) add a Raymarine "device net" drop down cable. This will connect directly to the programmable Lowrance EP-65R fluid level sensor (not the EP15 - this is a red/blue male/female Lowrance connector issue). Connect the EP-65R sensor to your fuel tank's sending unit. Here's the catch: you must then program the EP-65R with a Lowrance head unit, which must be connected temporarily to the SeaTalk ng backbone and removed when programming has been completed. I found a professional who had a Lowrance head unit do the programming for me. You might find a volunteer if you ask around. It is true that the accuracy of the digital data is only as good as the fuel tank's sending unit, but if you have the time and inclination, you can program the EP-65R as you fill your tank to dial it in.

Attachments

• DSC01856.jpg
    DSC01856.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0