Battery box flooded....question--

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
It rained. Alot. The bilge was full and the water was up over the battery box. The box was flooded. Apparently my bilge pump switch was turned off. The battery was dead when I tried to pump out the water.

My question is this...If a battery is underwater does the water itself act as a conductor between pos and neg and kill the battery?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Battery box flooded....question--

It doesn't help but fresh water is not a good conductor so it would be a slow drain.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting. I fished till noon on May 31, then noticed the boat full of water on the 6th of June.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Pure distilled water(not like bilge water), won't conduct electricity, it dosn't apply here, but I always thought it was interesting. I have had one battery that was completely submerged for several days at least twice and it didn't seem to hurt it, but certainly the water could complete a circuit and drain the battery.

Bondo

Staff member

Apparently my bilge pump switch was turned off.

Ayuh,... Or it's turned On,+ ran the battery flat...

John_S

Rear Admiral

Also, check the water level in the battery. Water might have entered the battery through the battery vent. I had one get submerged a few years ago when we had a June flood. Recharged it, but it was junk by the end of the season.