Help needed with wiring/rewiring an old pontoon

oldpontoon

Cadet
I have a 1983 JC pontoon, 26 feet I believe, the wiring needs to be redone. Does anyone know where I can find help to start.

Also this boat has 2 batteries.....one starts the motor and the other works the lights and radio. Is this 2 battery system a common thing for these old boats or am I dealing with a custom job from the previous owner?

The wiring he used (many years ago aboviously) is not marine grade by any means and I would like to make this thing safer.

Thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help needed with wiring/rewiring an old pontoon

Does anyone know where I can find help to start.
Ayuh,.... Right here,...
Dual batteries are Very common on boats...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help needed with wiring/rewiring an old pontoon

Unless the second battery is charged by an on-board charger or via a dual battery switch or ACR it will not be charged. If the battery is simply wired parallel with the starting battery then all accessories are drawing off BOTH batteries. You need to figure out what you really want to accomplish. It is common to have two batteries but unless the boat has a trolling motor or a very powerful stereo system there is generally no need for a second battery. A portable jump-start box would satisfy the emergency starting situation if it arose. If you are unfamiliar with low voltage wiring, I suggest a trip to the library for any reading material with "Low Voltage Wiring" or "Low Voltage DC" or other similar titles.

Develop a plan telling us what you want in the finished product and we can provide help.