Large Rocker Switch Wiring

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
HELLO Guys!

Just want to know where to find a wiring diagram for a Marine Large Rocker Switch On-Off-On, renewing the electrical accesories cabling :)... Did a search but nothing found.

Thanks!

switch.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Large Rocker Switch Wiring

It might just help is we knew what you were wiring. The switch you show is a standard ON/OFF type and has only two terminals. So what is it you really have. On a ON-OFF-ON switch, generally the center terminal is the line (hot/12 volt/input/feed) side of the switch. The two end terminals are the load (output/device/ON) side of the switch. Pressing the upper end of the rocker turns on one circuit and pressing the bottom part of the rocker turns on the other circuit. On a standard ON-OFF switch it doesn't matter which terminal is the line or load terminal UNLESS the switch has a built in indicator (which this one doesn't).

krakatoa

Re:Rocker Switch Wiring NAv/ANCHOR lights

Re:Rocker Switch Wiring NAv/ANCHOR lights

Hello Silvertip!
Actually my switch is an ON-OFF-ON position since its for Nav/Anchor lights and its have 6 terminals in the back. Just did a research over the net and it maybe goes like this: the middle one goes the power, upper terminal power for nav light, down terminal power for anchor. If you provide power to the middle terminal at the right or left side you should use the same terminal side.

I found this diagram here at iboats but I get confuse :confused:with the "bridge" at the right side of the terminal. please take a look. I believe that only need to add pos. wire of the anchor light at the same side of the pos. (+12v) live wire, I mean in the 3rd connector of the left side.
nav.jpg

What you think?:confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That is a diagram I created long ago and is exactly the way you should wire it. 12 volts connects to BOTH of the center terminals. It doesn't matter which side of the switch 12 volts goes into. The other connections are exactly as shown. How can you get confused about the jumper on the right side? It is simply a piece of wire connecting the two terminals. If you had X-ray vision you would see internally that when you move the rocker in one direction you connect the center terminal internally to either the top or bottom terminal on one side of the switch. The same thing happens on the other side so this is essentially two totally separate switches in one housing. The jumper on the right eliminates the need for a diode had you used a single three terminal switch. If you don't understand "why" the wire is there and you don't understand the internal structure of a switch, then you need to trust that the diagram is correct. Many folks have used it and it works -- trust it. Just follow the diagram.

krakatoa

I just did it, but I didn`t use the bridge in any way. I connect the +12v pos live wire to the center connection then add the Nav at the top and the Anchor to the bottom. Just 3 connections. Is working fine! Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No it isn't working correctly. There is a requirement that when under way BOTH the NAV and ANCHOR lights must be on. When at anchor only the ANCHOR light is on. If you eliminate that jumper the switch CANNOT work that way and it will be impossible to have both on at the same time.

krakatoa

I understand your point, actually I didnt use my boat on night. just want to get the nav lights in working condition, anyway I will add the jumper to get it right.

Thanks Again!