Fuse holder and fuse question

duckmaster1

Cadet
Ok,
I have a fuse holder on my jon boat, I think it goes to my running lights, not sure.
But when I was checking the fuse, it was broke inside of the holder. So I tried to get the bottom of the glass fuse out, and it is stuck in there, ruined my fuse holder, I can get a new one.
But the question is, the glass fuse says 40-250v on one end, what type fuse do I need, 30 amp, 20 amp, 10 amp. I am still trying to learn this stuff. The reason I ask, is I need to get a watertight fuse holder also, they come in 10, 20 ,30 amp , so if anyone could help, that would be great.
Thank You.

Here are some pics of the holder with wire, I think it is 10 gauge wire.
Thanks again for any help.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Fuse holder and fuse question

You're looking at the voltage rating, not the amperage. If all you have are the nav lights, a 10 amp fuse should be sufficient. But the harness in your pictures would be overkill for nav lights. What other electrical devices do you have on the boat?

duckmaster1

Cadet

I think it is my plug in for a plug for a trolling motor, I just now looking at this, because it is set up for the extra battery.
So it would be for the front trolling motor. Does that make sense, I am new at this stuff.
Thanks for the help.

NYBo

Admiral

Depending on the power of the trolling motor, you may need a 40 or 50 amp fuse and appropriate fuse holder.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If it is indeed for the trolling motor, scrap the fuse and install a 50A circuit breaker within one foot of the positive terminal on the battery. These are automatic reset devices so if it opens, all you need to do is wait a few minutes and it will reset.

NYBo

Admiral

Yes, a circuit breaker is preferable to a fuse.

duckmaster1

Cadet

But I have never ran a trolling motor on it, I knew that was what it was for, but right now I have a spotlight hooked up to work there. I have never intended to put a trolling motor on the front of my boat, so I took the plug, and hooked up a spotlight to it, but never ran the light on it yet.

NYBo

Admiral

If that's all you'll have on the circuit, you won't need that large a breaker or fuse. What is the wattage of the light? Remember that watts/volts=amps. Go to the next size lager than your computation, and a circuit breaker is more desirable than a fuse.