CP180 Chart plotter

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to get some feed back from owners of the CP 180 Chart Plotter. Is it any good. What are the pros and cons of the internal antenna model.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: CP180 Chart plotter

Cant help on the 180, I have the 170C, as I understand it the 180 is just updated software and a 1 in larger screen.all that said I think mine is great, very easy to use, the manual could be better,some functions are not explained at all.I imagine an internal antenna would be OK in a open boat or a sunbridge. Standard Horrison is pretty good with their customer support

jhebert

Ensign
Re: CP180 Chart plotter

I would like to get some [feedback] from owners of the CP 180 Chart Plotter. Is it any good[?] What are the [advantages and disadvantages] of the internal antenna model[?]

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Standard-Horizon chart plotter and GPS receiver combination instruments are generally reliable devices and represent a good value. They use C-MAP chart cartography. The CP-180 is not useful on NMEA-2000 networks, but it is fine with NMEA-0183 connections.

The technology of GPS receivers today permits them to be built on a small chip, so it is quite reasonable that an internal antenna be used. Devices which use an external assembly for the GPS receiver typically have the whole receiver in the external device, not just an antenna.

The advantage of the internal GPS model is the obvious reduction in cabling between the main unit and the remote GPS. Also, the device is still useful when removed from the boat; devices with external GPS units are not useful when off the boat, unless you bring the external GPS with them.

The disadvantage of an internal GPS model is the device must be mounted in a location where there is a clear view of the sky. On most boats, this is not a problem. If you wanted to mount the device down in the cabin on a large boat, its sensitivity would be reduced, but mounted at the usual helm location on a small boat, there would be little concern about loss of sensitivity or obstructed view of the sky.