Furuno Customer Service

fishaman

Seaman Apprentice
Just wanted to share my experience with Furuno... I bought a new Furuno 1715 radar more than two years ago, got a really good deal from BoatFix. After installation, I did the standard adjustments, and used it every time I was out fishing, helped me a lot on foggy mornings in Puget Sound. I do not boat at night, so I never payed attention to a kinda dim screen, I could see the targets well, and thought that I always can figure out some adjustment to increase the backlight when I need it. So one day last November we kept fishing blackmouth till late, and then had trouble finding our crabpots in the fog. It was only about 5pm, but already dark, ferry signal comes out from the fog, and I could not figure out the radar backlighting adjustment. I ended up using a flashlite to see the radar screen. Later I pulled the manual, but whatever I do, the screen stayed invisible in the dark.

It was completely my fault that I never bothered to check the backlighting during the warranty time, which had ended about a year ago. I have sent the display to Furuno center to check, they bench tested the screen, verified the defect, and the estimate for a new LCD panel came close to $600 with labour. Two days ago I called Furuno, and explained to service manager that I believe the problem was there since new... He said he will talk to his manager... Yesterday I got the package from Furuno - all repaired, and no charge invoice attached. They did not even charge shipping. They took my word for the defect history, and made a warranty repair. They made my day, I am really looking forward to putting the display back to work. Kudos to Furuno, they really stood behind their product. What a great company! I think I need a new chartplotter to replace my 6 years old color Magellan, and I think I know which one will work great with my radar...

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Furuno Customer Service

What a great story! I support manufacturers who support me. I have a humminbird unit and they are absolutely excellent for post sale support. They have earned my business and I'm happy to send them my hard earned dollars when I upgrade.