Battery Switch and 2 Batteries...

WyliePirate

Cadet
Re: Battery Switch and 2 Batteries...

I guess I was typing when you two were posting (haha). You answered my question already.

skargo

Banned

I use battery 1(start) to start and get to where I'm going. When we anchor, I switch to battery 2(deep). When we leave, I start on either, then put the switch on both to top them off. Seems to work fine, and it's simple.

McBoatin

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with Silvertip.

Use the VSR system. It is dummy prof.

I would get the largest marine bat you can. they last longer and handle more charges and have more power. You have a boat that doesnt use much power. It tends to be that the cheap batt is $50 and the big one is $70(walmart). u still pay the same batt disposal fee.

Get two new batts. as your old batt when it dies will drain power out of the new one. Solved by using VSR w/ your older batt as the 2nd batt.

At the moment I have two new batts. With my radio, trolling motor, and gps on a second batt that is not wired to the motor or circut panel. when the fun toys go dead my boat still starts.

I have ordered the vsr system switch $70 that will allow the motor to charge both batts yet the second will be isolated still. or if i have problems with the other I can switch it over.

just my 2cents

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

two batteries with an ACR/VSR. Buddy of mine tried to explain it to me before, but like I said I am an electrical moron who pays somebody to do this stuff. But combined with Silvertips explanation that is where I would have gone. Silvertip has a lot more experience based on what I am seeing in this forum and as it was just said..dummy proof.

What I have I am happy with though..because I am not a complete idiot, I understand the concept of the Perko and I knew what I wanted to do and found out the proper way to accomplish it buy using this device. Additionally, because a dummy or child could mess all this up I had installed it in the engine compartment out of sight. So only I am aware of its existence and purpose.

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Silvertip.

Use the VSR system. It is dummy prof.......

Get two new batts. as your old batt when it dies will drain power out of the new one. Solved by using VSR w/ your older batt as the 2nd batt........

That is only true if your running on Both when you have one of the batteries fault if I am not mistaken.

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please help with the battery switch!

Please help with the battery switch!

Ok... hubby wired up the battery switch. The pump and the radio are still wired directly one battery (we will move the connector for the radio later after we buy more wire to make it extend all the way to the switch), then it will be hooked to the "com") but for now...

when the battery switch is in the "off" position the radio and the pump don't work, even though they are wired straight to the battery, but thety work when the switch is in the "all" position. If we understand correctly - they should always turn on... right?

Desera