Installing a GPS plotter

PDubs

Seaman
Looking to install some parts onto the boat:
- GPS plotter
- Dual Beam Transducer

I'm running into some issues where I need some help. Has anyone installed these types of things before? What are the things I should look for when getting the Transducer installed? I was hoping to do the GPS plotter myself but I can't find an owner's manual for the fuse box. I'm assuming I could just do a fuse tap for it but the transducer seems to be another animal.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Installing a GPS plotter

3 things to keep in mind

1. It need to be in clean water when running so lifting stakes,raw water pick ups, and trim tabs need to be avoided. It needs a couple inches on either side of them or clean water.

2. The dome only needs about 1/4 of an inch below the hull on the transom. In other words, when you are on plane the bottom of the transducer will only be 1/4 to 1/2 an inch in the water.

3. Watch your trailer. Make sure the transducer doesn't line up with a bunk or roller. If you get over zellous power loading your bunk could hit it and bad things happen to little piece of plastic that holds it on. Not that I ever found out the hard way.. lol

If still not clear as to mounting, swing into a service department and look at other peoples boats and how they have theres installed. Once you drill the pilot holes for the screws 5200 the screws so they wont leak or back out. Good luck with your project. You will do fine.

PDubs

Seaman
Re: Installing a GPS plotter

Thanks Black Snow, those are all good pointers to consider final mounting location, etc. Any ideas on how to route the wires from the transom area to the helm, where the GPS unit will be installed? And what exactly does "5200 the screws" mean?