Comparing Fish Finders

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just got my first boat and I'm going to buy a fish finder, can anyone tell me which one's are better in my price range (under 150).
I've looked online at BPS, Academy, Gander Mountain and have come up with this list of fish finders.

Humminbird Fishfinder 535 (I like this one the best)
Humminbird Piranhamax 150
Humminbird Piranhamax 170 (I like this one 2nd best)
Garmin Fishfinder 90
Garmin Fishfinder 140

Anybody have an input on which one's are better? Thx Dakota

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Comparing Fish Finders

I do not know any of the units but in general terms best unit is hard to define.
For shallow water under 50 feet power and resoultion is not a big factor. You would probably want a transducer of at least 20 degrees. Even wider if you will be running downriggers.

As you go deeper then power and resultion become more and more important. When deeper than about 200 feet then a narrow transducer is better. As an example with my fish finder I do not see fish deeper than 250 feet unless I switch from my 20 degree transducer to my 8 degree transducer. Also the deeper you go the more resoultion your need.

Hope this helps a little. I would suggest you take your time picking your unit as it should last a very long time.

sportyinc

Seaman

Go the extra step and buy one with GPS. You can usually save up to 1000 way points and go back to the good spots anytime you want.
Definitely worth the money.
My son and I just bought an Eagle 350S/Map. You can pick them up for around $200. Works great!
You won't regret it.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I really don't need a big fancy fish finder as I just inherited a 1940 Starcraft, has been in my family since it was new. Check out the thread 1940 Starcraft under Starcraft boats. I'm just 16 and fish the Lakes around East Texas. Mainly Fork and Tawakoni. So I pretty much just need to know the depth of the water and if there's anything down there.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Out of the Humminbird's I'd choose the 535. It has a much larger screen than any of the HB Pmax, along with many more of the features that come in the higher cost units. I have seen B&W 700 series for around $200.

PS: I did check out your Starcraft. That is an olde! I have a '67 Mariner V, that has always been in the family. Good luck with your restoration.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 525 and 535? Also these unit's have the ability to show mph, but it's not included, what do I have to buy for this function?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 525 and 535? Also these unit's have the ability to show mph, but it's not included, what do I have to buy for this function?

From looking at the manual, the only thing I see is:

LCD Matrix
240 V x 240 H (525)
320 V x 320 H (535)

For speed, you need the paddle-wheel accessory.

BTW, both of these are discontinued and no longer mfg. Not that big of a deal, just wanted to make sure you knew that. Warrantee is still good if buying from dealer. Just say the receipt.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How much is the paddel wheel accessory? Do you mean them fish finders are discontinued? There still on Humminbird's website and Academy, BPS, Walmart.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How much is the paddel wheel accessory? Do you mean them fish finders are discontinued? There still on Humminbird's website and Academy, BPS, Walmart.

It's the Humminbird fishfinder 525 and 535 not matrix.

mphy98

Lieutenant

call Johnson outdoors and ask for the outlet store, good buys there. I bought the 793? with gps and side imaging that was advertised for $1299.00 for $599.00 with the external GPS antenna. It was a display model, but what the heck, came with full warranty. If this is not against the rules the phone number is 262-631-6700. Otherwise if that gets deleted just go online to Johnson outdoors and get the number for the main st store in racine wi.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Here is the paddle wheel: http://store.humminbird.com/products/323042/SW
They also have one with temp probe. It gives water speed, which can be more important for trolling. Consider upgrading to a gps unit, which will provide ground speed and a whole lot more.

Yes, they are discontinued. Once they are sold out, that is it. They have the older rounded cases vs the more squarish of the current product.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info, is there a replacement model, in the same priice range?