Information on Raytheon RL70 and Raymarine 2kw Dome

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was given a Raytheon RL70 Display and a Raymarine 2kw Dome by a coworker but no cables. I obviously need the signal cable to go from the dome to the display but I was wondering what else I need. I would like to hook up a Raymarine 120 GPS antenna to the display since it has the great lakes chip in it. Other boats ive seen with this display and dome has sea talk and was curious if i needed that as well. Idealy I would like to just power the display and buy the cable for the dome and the gps antenna.

Thank you for any help!

sr280da

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Information on Raytheon RL70 and Raymarine 2kw Dome

I have a similar set up.

Skip the Raystar 120, buy the 125 instead. The 120s were built with a battery hardwired into the GPS. These batteries have a life and expiration date that based on the production date of the 120 has since passed. Yes, there is new old stock on Ebay, but even if you get one that works it will die soon. You have to replace the whole thing with a 125 and that means running a new wire from the display to the arch.

The 125 can be set up as either NMEA0183, or SeaTalk, use SeaTalk. It will come with the cable.

You will need:

Power cable for the RL70
RL70 mounting trunion
Radar Cable
You will also need ether 4 degree mount wedge, or tower for the radar scanner, depending on whether you have a fiberglass arch, or metal tube arch.

To add the GPS, and any other SeaTalk accessories, depth, fish finder,
SeaTalk Cable
SeaTalk junction box, or 3 buss bars to create a junction point (power, shield, and data). I'd suggest the Blue Sea Systems 5 point buss bars, will cost the same as the RM junction box and is a heck of a lot easier to work with.

The radar is going to be a little wonky without a course compass when you try to overlay radar and GPS. The course compass input syncs the two displays. I bought the RM Smart heading POS. Biggest waste of $800 there ever was. You can also use a KVH electronic compass with NMEA 0183 output to feed the RL70 with course data. Its about $ 300. NMEA input for the RL70 is via the power cord cable.

You would also need a NMEA out cable if you planned to take the course data to feed something like the Mercury Smartcraft SC1000 tach or SC5000 System view display

pmdwyer

Recruit
Re: Information on Raytheon RL70 and Raymarine 2kw Dome

Did you end up using your RL70? I recently developed a problem with mine and need parts.
Thank You,
Patrick Dwyer