iPod vs. Sony Remote Commander

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Sony CDX-M60UI head unit. I currently have my iPhone or iPod plugged in to listen to music. I really don't like the interface on the head unit so I usually use the iPod to pick the song/playlist/etc. The biggest downside is that summer is coming up and i don't want tons of wet kids playing with my iPhone to pick songs. My thought was to buy an iPod shuffle or nano and connect it to the radio and just leave it hidden behind the dash. This will work if there are NO or only ONE playlist on the device and then the sony interface should work just fine. I was hoping to add a remote commander but I was wondering just what will display on the screen on the remote. On the head unit, you can use the wheel to scroll through the songs and the name flashes on the head unit screen. What I really want is for the kids to be able to see the songs on the display of the remote commander and be able to scroll through the songs and pick the one they want. With the remote commander being fairly waterproof, the kids can be dripping wet.

Anyone with one of these little guys able to tell me what appears on the screen of the remote? Thanks.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: iPod vs. Sony Remote Commander

the only thing waterproof is the remote commander.the head unit/iphone and ipod are all open to the elements.how about the kids knocking up a few playlists the night before on your computer and putting them on a memory stick.cheaper than ruining any of your sony i equipment.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: iPod vs. Sony Remote Commander

thats why i was hoping the remote commander would show the song on the screen, so i could direct wet kids to it.