Dual batteries and Perko switch

OC Rider

Seaman Apprentice
I?m a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I had a 2nd battery installed along with a Perko switch to run my amplifier for my stereo a while back. I just had a second amp installed to run my highs and the guy that installed this amp is telling me that he believes that the perko switch setup was installed incorrectly. We checked the batteries when he finished installing the new amp and one was showing about 13 volts and the other about 9 volts. The original guy that installed the switch told me that I only had to charge one of the batteries and both would get charged. He also told me that it didn?t matter what setting I had the perko switch on that I could start the boat and listen to my music with no problem. This didn?t seem correct because I would think that position 1 is to start, 2 is if I want to park the boat and listen to music or all is if I want to drive around listening to music. I know this is a lot but can someone explain or preferably give diagram or picture of setup. Thank you.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Dual batteries and Perko switch

The switch should supply power to your system in 1 - 2 and Both modes - Off - nothing should work.

1=Drawing power from battery 1
2=Drawing power from battery 2
Both=Drawing power from both batteries
Off= No power is supplied

Your set up sounds right and your supposition is close to correct as well. 1 is to start 2 is when you anchor and play tunes- when you kill battery2 switch to 1 to start engine. Both joins both batteries. They will both charge albeit not optimality. Equally they will both go dead if the engines not running.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I know this is a lot but can someone explain or preferably give diagram or picture of setup. Thank you.

Here 'ya go!

dualBatterySglEngine.gif

The use of a switch and wiring like this is recommend with dual battery installations. A brief explanation of the operation of the switch in this circuit follows.

In the OFF position, the two batteries are disconnected from all loads. The OFF position is used when the boat is being stored or otherwise not in use. It prevents any drain from the batteries. This can be useful if a circuit has been accidently left on, say a cabin lighting circuit or similar drain. Such a load can completely discharge a battery in a day or two, leading to an unanticipated dead battery situation when you return to your boat. On some switches a key lock is provided, allowing the switch to locked in the off position. The provides another level of security in preventing the boat from being used when left in storage or unattended.

In the 1 position, all loads and charging currents are connected to the No. 1 battery (the PORT battery in the illustration). Starting current for the engine starter motor is supplied by the PORT battery. When the engine is running, surplus current developed by its charging circuit will flowing into the PORT battery. Current to lighting and other loads will flow from the PORT battery. The STDB battery is completely isolated and has no load current, nor does it receive any charging current.

In the 2 position, all loads and charging currents are connected to the No. 2 battery (the STBD battery in the illustration). Now it supplies current required by starting and running, and it receives all the charging current from the engine. The PORT battery is totally isolated.

In the BOTH position, the two batteries are connected in parallel. This has a number of implications. Unless the batteries have exactly the same state of charge, the combined voltage to the two batteries in parallel will sag to a voltage somewhat lower than the highest battery's terminal voltage. Current from the higher voltage battery will flow into the lower voltage battery and begin charging it. As long as the state of charge in one battery is higher than the other, the lower battery is more of a load than a source of power. Eventually, the batteries will reach an equilibrium, and they will both have the same terminal voltage. At that point they will both tend to supply current to loads that are attached to them, and they will both receive charging current furnished by the engine.

It would seem like operating in the BOTH position would be beneficial, but that is not always the case. Even though the batteries will eventually rise or fall to the same terminal voltage when connected together, they will not necessarily become exactly the same. A battery (or any source of electrical engery) can be thought of as having an internal resistance. The lower this internal resistance the greater the current it can supply. The internal resistance will also affect how the battery absorbs charging current. Even though they are connected in parallel, it is possible that they will supply unequal currents to the loads, and it is also possible that they will accept unequal currents from an the engine charging source.

If the batteries are significantly different in their age, their type of construction, and their state of charge, this unequal distribution of current can be more significant. To describe the situation in the simplest of terms, when two batteries are connected in parallel, they will probably tend to behave more like the weakest battery of the two than the strongest.

Paralleling the batteries can come in handy in some situations. For example, both batteries may be discharged to a point where neither alone can provide enough current to crank the starter motor, but combined in parallel they can turn the engine over.

If one battery is fully charged and the other is totally discharged, connecting them in parallel (by using the BOTH position) can cause very high currents to flow between the batteries. Extreme heat can be generated by the sudden charging of the discharged battery. Use caution in this situation. It is better to recondition a discharged battery by slowly re-charging it with an AC-operated battery charger.

The arrangement of the contacts of the typical OFF-1-2-BOTH permits the operation of the switch in the range of 1-2-BOTH without ever disconnecting the batteries from the load or the outboard charging circuit. This is important, as it is possible to cause damage to the charging circuit if the battery is disconnected while the engine is running. By choosing the path of rotation of the switch, it is possible to change from 1 to 2 without moving through the OFF position.

OC Rider

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some pictures of my wiring setup. The diagram seems kinda easy to follow but that only has one wire to the battery and one wire to the switch. As you might be able to tell from the pictures i have several wires to the battery and several wires to the switch. The first 3 pictures were of the original setup, the last pictures was the wiring for the new amp on the other battery.

Attachments

• IMG_1194(2).JPG
    IMG_1194(2).JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1195(2).JPG
    IMG_1195(2).JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1196(2).JPG
    IMG_1196(2).JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1197(2).JPG
    IMG_1197(2).JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 2

arks

Lieutenant Commander

That's some funky wiring you have there.
My 34 footer doesn't have that many big wires, and it's got 4 batteries and 3 switches!
My guess is that you've got some large cables running to fuse blocks or something that draws a lot of juice.
Also, it looks like you might have an isolator in the first shot.
Here's a simple diagram on how an isolator connects with dual batteries:

dual_batteryISOLATOR.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

One suggestion...get rid of the wing nuts.

OC Rider

Seaman Apprentice

I have no clue how the guy wired it stereo system to the batteries. I tried moving the switch to the different settings to see where the stereo works or doesn't work and i found the it all works on 1 and both but when i put it to 2 both amps turn on but only sound is coming out of sub which was the original setup.

OC Rider

Seaman Apprentice

I actually charged the batteries and now the stereo works with the switch on either 1, 2 or both. I don't understand why it would work this way because isn't the switch to isolate the starting battery so i could run the stereo without having a problem to start boat? Could it be working this way because of the ACR?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

No the switch is intended to be used in the 1 position to start the boat and then be switched to the 2 position when floating around listening to the tunes. Then when you kill the battery floating around you can switch back to 1 and start'r up.

The switch is not intended to kill everything but the motor in the 1 position. You could eliminate the switch, wire the accessory block to battery 2 (with the stereo) and the engine to battery 1 then use the ACR to keep both charged. The problem here is if your starting battery is dying the boat cannot be switched to bank 2 for emergency help in starting.

My advice (for what it's worth) is to leave the battery wired as it is and use the switch to select battery 2 when rafting up or anchored.