which optima battery to buy

hundahunta

Cadet
I need to buy batteries for my boat. It has a Yanmar engine it has an alternator on it. I am planning on dual batteries. I am looking at the yellow and blue top..What's the major difference, i checked their website and found some info but not what i needed to decide....the yellow and blue top are both deep cycle. The only difference I could find is that the blue has a little more cca for the same size of a yellow also a blue top has stainless studs..

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: which optima battery to buy

Blue top are for marine use and have the dual posts with studs.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Agree with mark, your standard flooded lead-acid batteries are a much better value for your buck.

However if you must have one, the blue tops are the ones you want.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree with mark, your standard flooded lead-acid batteries are a much better value for your buck.

However if you must have one, the blue tops are the ones you want.

Funny you mention Blue Tops. I just redid my batteries and for some reason I went to Autozone. My batteries from them are plane Jane looking Marine "blue tops" and work just fine for the engine start and the TM. None of the Kansas wheat silo looking stuff and the price was reasonable.

Mark

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like Optima batteries for my Jeeps. I have yellow tops (deep cycle) because of winch use when off roading. The gel filled battery is great for all the bumping and vibrations you get wheeling where the plate type sometimes will fail early if the trails are rough and long. I just cannot bring myself to buy Optima's for my boat. Maybe because I would have to buy three and I have never had an issue with the ones I have now, Autozone blue top marine deep cycle.

camm11

Cadet

If your looking at gel type batteries Cabelas has a sale on their AGM dual purpose marine batteries . Just ordered 3 size 24 for my boat ! Just a thought

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I remember correctly, I called them on this, They say they are the same, Ive had very good luck with longevity using these batteries, Trolling, and start. But they have raised the price so much , I don;t know if your really gaining? But have used for a long time with great satisfaction.

hundahunta

Cadet

No autozone in Hawaii. the yellow tops are $150 each and the blue are $172 for optima. I'll just look for a different brand probably

hundahunta

Cadet

when I e-mailed optima they couldn't specifically tell me what was the major difference between the yellow and blue top. They just cut and pasted the description. The yellow and blue top are both deep cycle and starting, the blue just has a little more cca and has stainless steel posts. When I look at the reserve capacity minutes their similar..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

No autozone in Hawaii. the yellow tops are $150 each and the blue are $172 for optima. I'll just look for a different brand probably

I have absolutely no experience with these guys, but if you can get 10 years of hard use (usage under the environmental conditions that are extraordinary) out of one of these guys, then I'll take my hat off and say Go for it bro!

Mark