Navionics SD Card, Navionics Explorer

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
I recently acquired my planned Fish Elite 640C Sonar GPS combo, and I am looking to buy an older or last year's Navionics SD card since there is no need to buy the new one- they didn't add any Vermont lakes. I was thinking of buying the "Navionics Explorer" DVD as a companion to it, but I am having trouble assimilating the features of the DVD product in deciding to purchase or not. Maybe rolmops or some other 'lectronics-savvy angler can provide a few answers.

I get that the Navionics Explorer DVD product is a PC-based tool for planning trips on the water. But does it offer any integration with the Navionics maps that come on the SD card for my GPS? In other words, can I plan something on my computer with Explorer and then "upload" the data into my GPS without having to manually enter GPS coordinates?

Conversely, can I store my saved GPS tracks and waypoints data on a card and then "import" that data into explorer for manipulation and study, and perhaps delete some data and/or combine additional data from the Explorer program?

The Navionics FAQ mentions that waypoints and tracks can be transferred, but doesn't answer whether one can manipulate the data.
thanks!

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Navionics SD Card, Navionics Explorer

Mark,

I have Explorer and Hotmaps Premium 2008 NE SD and there is not any integration between them. There is a Nav Planner program for about $100 that can read the maps from SD card.

I haven't used the features yet, but explorer has basic waypoint manipulation, but saves and reads it as standard files. You don't need the Hotmaps SD card, and in general, don't want to be saving any data to the hotmaps card. Navionics has copy protection S/W and can easily hose the chips. and if you do, they won't replace them. Use a seperate SD card for transfering the gps data.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Navionics SD Card, Navionics Explorer

Mark,
I use the garmin system.This system allows me to plan a trip on my computer and then download the whole thing onto my data card and all I have to do is return the card back into the GPS and use it.
I do not think that Navionics is any less savvy than that.It would be a good idea to give them a call and inquire.
I think that you would need a blank data card and an adapter with a USB plug on one end.
My Garmin had this 5 years ago already so it is probably everywhere now.