Standard Horizon plotters?

PDubs

Seaman
I need to get a GPS plotter due to the "sometimes islands" in our lake. There's such a huge range of features/prices and almost none have reviews, that it's getting difficult to figure out which one to get.

I've been targeting the Standard Horizon CP180i because I'd like to stay in the 400-600 range and it seems to have what I need. But can anyone tell me:
- Which GPS plotter you recommend?
- Do these require any installs short of mounting the unit? Like dropping wires through the hull, etc.
- How fast do the maps update while cruising? < 1s?
- Anything I should look for specifically?

I won't be doing any fishing with it, I just need to make sure I'm able to plot a course, save that course or others, and stay away from shallow areas with a screen > 5". For the price, I don't think I could get what I'm looking for with the Garmin or Lowrancenet units. Also, a few have mentioned newer Lowrancenet units have slow map updating times.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Standard Horizon plotters?

For the price, I don't think I could get what I'm looking for with the Garmin or Lowrancenet units.

What are you looking for? The Garmin GPSMAP 521 GPS Chartplotter is $580. You need to consider the cost of maps if you go the Lowrance or SH route.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

When you say "sometimes islands", what are you referring to? Sandbars? Shifting shoals? What?

In other words, will any chart support the apparently changing conditions in your lake? BTW, what lake, and have you looked at it on other fellow boaters charts?

PDubs

Seaman

dingbat - I'm still in the learning process, so please bear with me if what I'm trying to find seems too general. I'm basically looking for something I can easily mount without having to drill in the hull for a new sensor (drill on cockpit is ok), costs < $500, refreshes maps quickly, at least 5" screen, and can see easily in direct sunlight. Do you mean to say the maps are extra regardless of which plotter I select?

seabob - These islands appear during periods of low lake levels but are hidden when lake is full and should always be avoided due to the fact that even under normal/full conditions you won't see them but will most likely bottom-out if you get near them. This is on Lake Travis (Austin).

I have asked one person (marina owner) and he was the one that actually suggested getting this plotter. I'm not so concerned about the maps updating lake levels in real time, although that would be pretty cool. I am only concerned with a plotter keeping me on track for the deepest part(s) of the lake at all times. We currently don't have a boat, we're taking delivery within a few weeks, so I have not had a chance to ask more people at the marina. The majority of people we know use the other lake, which is a constant level and does not require such a device.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You don't need such an expensive unit.
Yes you need to buy an sd card with the lake maps on them.

The maps will show water depth- typically when the lake is full.
They will show the same image even if the water level drops 20 feet.

You will need to mount the unit.
You will need to supply a power and a ground wire.
If the unit has a built-in antennae, you are done.

If the unit uses an external antennae, you will need to mount the "puck" on the high point of your boat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Do you mean to say the maps are extra regardless of which plotter I select?

No. The Garmin 531 comes with detailed inland lakes maps installed on the unit. Most of the other plotter companies just give you a base map which IMHO is pretty useless. You then have to buy additional map sets ($100+) to cover your area of interest.