Anyone use the Navionics iPhone App?

superbenk

Commander
I found this in the iTunes App Store recently and was pretty amazed that each regional app was only $10 (well for the east coast rivers & lakes apps). Has anyone tried this? Seems too good to be true:

Navionics iPhone App

evol

Recruit
Re: Anyone use the Navionics iPhone App?

I use it (Dallas/Fort Worth area), and the depth maps seems accurate for at least Eagle Mountain Lake and Grapevine lake.

The rest of the marina info and everything is a bit sparse.. but it works decently enough although it drains the battery incredibly fast so bring a charger..

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

On my boat, I use it as a backup to my onboard system, and when I'm on someone else's boat I can see what we're up to without asking the captain. When I'm off the water, I can answer questions I pose to myself, such as, "How far is it between port A and port B" without hanging up the phone. This app is the real deal. If you already have an iPhone 3G or 3Gs, buying the app is a "no brainer."

superbenk

Commander

Awesome! I'll give it a try. Should ease my mind quite a bit trying the Delaware this year for the first time (I've never been on a river before let alone an estuary).

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Due to the size of the file, you'll have to connect your iPhone to your computer, access the iTunes store, and download/install the app from there. Done yet?

superbenk

Commander

Done yet?

I was at the automotive store making up my shopping list to get my tow vehicle ready for the spring :) Boat list is made too, going to be an expensive spring! :D

superbenk

Commander

Just installed the Eastern Lakes app & absolutely *LOVE* it! As an added bonus, it includes the Delaware so I don't have to buy the Eastern Rivers app! It's missing Blue Marsh Lake near Reading that we've gone to before, but it has Beltzville & Raystown which are on our todo list. It also has the Finger Lakes (where I grew up) which is where we're vacationing this summer (Canandaigua Lake!!).

Anyhow, for $10, this app is incredible! Now I need to get 12v power to my boat's console for my charger & an iPhone dash mount :) Can't wait!

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Outstanding!

Attachments

• cheers.gif
    cheers.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 0

Mykroft

Cadet

Due to the size of the file, you'll have to connect your iPhone to your computer, access the iTunes store, and download/install the app from there. Done yet?

Or if you have WiFi access at home or somewhere else you can download it directly to the phone that way too.

Fish929

Seaman

Yes, I have it and its great. I used it for the first time this past weekend and love it. It does drain the battery, so its not something you can leave on the whole time you're out, unless you have an external power source. It is a little hard to read while trying to drive the boat but it was great for helping me find my way; would have been hopelessly lost without it. I find it helpful to plot out a route before getting on the water and then its really easy to just follow your path. For $10, its a steal. I hit the "Track" button and tracked my path back to the marina and then you can email yourself a Google Earth based map that's really cool. Also includes your average speed, max speed, how far you went, how long it took, etc.

Overall, a great app and well worth $10.