Rewiring a bass boat. Trolling motor wiring.

Allg57

Cadet
Hi guys. I've been a member for awhile but don't post too often. Now however, I'm up against a problem and need some advice.

A friend gave me a 1985 Venture bass boat with a 115 Mariner and a 12/24 Motorguide trolling motor of the same vintage. Critters had gotten in it and chewed up the wiring; even the trolling motor wiring. I'm going to rewire it but since this is my first bass boat the wiring is a lot more complicated than on my 14' jon boat.

For the trolling motor wiring there are 2 sets of 10 ga red/black wires running from the battery compartment in the back to the front switch panel. A 3 way switch on the panel is marked 12, 12/24, Charge. From reading other posts here I've learned that the switch allows the operation of either a 12, a 12/24 motor or charging of both batteries. I'm wondering though, do I still need this switch. So far, I haven't been able to get the trolling motor to work, even if I connect a battery up to it directly. (I realize now I may have tried connecting the 2 wires from the batt. to the wrong contacts on the plug.) But, if I decide to go with a different T motor, do I even need this switch? What are my options and what is best? I probably will try to buy a used trolling motor from someone and not a brand new one so what should I look for. The boat is 16 1/2' long and about 82" wide if I remember correctly. Thanks!!

Mike

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Rewiring a bass boat. Trolling motor wiring.

It all depends on what your replacement trolling motor is. You most likely will be able to do away with that switch.

Allg57

Cadet

I was figuring I could. As far as the replacement TM, I checked craigslist after making the last post and found a Minn Kota 80 lb Maxxumm locally, which is a 24 v motor. I know that various brands and types of TMs appear out there frequently so I'm not too worried about that part.

If I do this, I will use 3 batteries, one for cranking & other electronics (fish finder, bilge, lights, etc.), and 2 for the TM. Does that make sense, or should I place the electronics on one of the TM batteries?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The switch is required ONLY if the trolling motor is designed to operate from either 12 or 24 volts. The switch is not required if the motor is a 12 volt unit only or a 24 volt only. You really don't need the switch for a 12/24 motor either if you ONLY use the motor on 24 volts (but that's an IF). If you replace the motor with a 24 volt unit, you still need a way to charge both batteries and that involves charging them individually with a single charger or installing a two-bank charger. You could install a three bank if you wish to add the starting battery to that charger. None of your accessories are high-current draw items so they can remain on the starting battery although it is best if that battery is a good sized combo (marine starting/deep cycle). When wiring the troller for 24 volt ONLY operation you can get rid of two of the wires going to the batteries. You only need two for the motor whether it ends up being a 12 or 24 volt unit.

mooregecko

Seaman Apprentice

I am in a similar situation. I have a bass pro "charge matic" that has seen better days. It might work but the receptacle is very corroded. I wouldn't mind buying a new one if I new where to get something that charged the trolling motor when my 2 stroke was running, I also like having an acc outlet up there for spotlighting. Can you suggest any replacement products?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have a 24 volt trolling motor you cannot charge a 24 system from the 12 volt alternator on your engine. Any trolling motor plugs/receptacle combinations are available right here on iBoats. They support this forum -- why not support them.