Hooking up speakers to two separate radios

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Want to know if I can do this. I have a Flybridge boat with a 12v stereo system located in the galley. It has multiple speakers with subs inside, and two 6-1/4" on the flybridge controllable by a on/off toggle by the helm. (no control on volume.) Problem is when underway, you cannot hear the bridge speakers unless you turn up the volume real loud downstairs making it unbearable inside. Can I hook up an additional head unit on the bridge and run speaker wires to the existing 6-1/4's and use that unit when underway, then shut if off and use the other unit at dock as to have the same music on top and inside.? Or do I have to get another set of 6-1/4's for the bridge?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hooking up speakers to two separate radios

Do not hook two radios to the same speakers. Have you though about installing an amp just for the helm speakers?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can use two head units to feed a single amp/speaker system but it takes a very sophisticated switching system to do it. Without the switch you run the risk of back feeding the components in the other head unit and blowing them -- not to mention the impedance mismatching that would occur. You would need to be able to remotely (from either location) switch head units and every lead coming into or leaving both units. And you must be able to accomplish the switch from either location.

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I'm not exlplaining myself right. I appologize.. I just want to add an additional head unit on the bridge so I can control volume and media when underway only. When I am at dock I would operate the one inside only, but would still like to hear that on the bridge too. When you toggle the switch at the helm to turn off sound to the bridge speakers, wouldn't that isolate the bridge unit from sending any signal downstairs . I don't want to have anything else hooked up to the bridge head unit other than the two speakers. The problem I do see is that when I use the galley head unit, the speaker wires from the speakers on the bridge to the bridge head unit will be getting signal going through them because they are not isolated. Any ideas ???? Probably just add two more separate speakers huh?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Here is what you do. You buy a high to low level adapter for 30 bucks. This will take the speaker level output from the inside system and convert it to line (low level) RCA cable s that you will use to feed the AUX input of the new stereo you buy.

So underway the people inside listen to what they want, you listen to what you want throught bridge unit. Anytime you wan to listen to what the inside system is playing you select the AUX input on the bridge system.

SIMPLE ! And cheap! Nox wizzardry needed.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Some units will except a remote, in your case if you cannot find a remote try adjusting the balance (front speakers, back speakers/ upstairs,down stairs)

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

O.k. So what you are saying is that with a line level converter I can hook it up to the R/L+- wires that come from down below and use line level output to play through the bridge head unit and out to the speakers. That's cool if that is what you are saying because I already have a line level converter from and old car install.

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He's not looking for a remote control, he's looking to add a seperate audio source so he can turn up the outside speakers while underway, seperate from the inside speakers.

Just mount 2 DPDT toggles up there. inputs on opposite sides, speakers in the middle.. Indoor stereo feeds when the switch is Up, bridge stereo feeds when the switch is Down.. Not as hard as all the other options..

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Ridemywideglide, that looks the easiest, and thatt would make sense because you would isolate them from each other with the two switches

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You want to look at the specs of your stereo to see if it allows a no load condition case when you have the switch enabling the speakers for the other stereo.

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You want to look at the specs of your stereo to see if it allows a no load condition case when you have the switch enabling the speakers for the other stereo.

Or... You could just turn it off.
This is why nobody likes an engineer getting involved...

We're talking about car stereos here... Don't over-complicate things.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Or... You could just turn it off.
This is why nobody likes an engineer getting involved...

We're talking about car stereos here... Don't over-complicate things.
LOL What happens if you turn it on and don't remember that you have the switch in the wrong position?

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ummmm... You don't get any sound... :eek:

Pretty simple..

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I see the dual switches as two holes in the fiberglass that will never ever go away. Use the level adapter and it will be done right. Switches are lame especially on a boat.

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Except that your "solution" would require him to run the second head unit any time outside music was desired. It's a waste of money to buy the line adapter and use that method.

This is exactly why I don't spend much time here.. Everyone tries to force thier opinion and step on everyone else to show that they are right and know what's best.. Everything here turns into a pissing match.

He wanted "easy", so 2 switches is easy.. You can wire your boat how ever you like.

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ridemywideglide.... Take heart... there are people who value your opinion.... I consider myself a jack of all trades master of none and need a little help now and then. I can see thru suggestions that don't make sense or are too anal. I thank you for your advise and think it will work just fine. I look forward to hooking up another head unit as you described and have no doubt I will kick back with a beer and enjoy.... Don't stop giving your advise.... It is appreciated.........

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I guess I am anal or maybe a perfectionist, I've been called worse.

I've been designing and installing AV systems in yachts, homes and airplanes for 22 years. I've seen many "solutions" that come close but don't hit the mark. I try to look at a problem and find a solution that not only accomplishes the purpose but does so in a non-invasive elegant fashion. I'm sure this is not for everybody. There is always a cheap way to do a job, usually it accomplishes the purpose but often there are compromises too.

Switches wear out, corrode and require dash space and to be easy for everyone require proper labeling.

The OP has a bridge stereo or is buying one. Says he already owns a low to high level adapter and his new stereo will almost certainly have an AUX input. It's nice to be able to control volume locally on a moving vessel and it's not generally wise to drill un-necessary holes in a boat. For me this is a no brainier.

Sorry wide glide - think of me what you may, I'm not trying to rain on your parade but your solution in my anal opinion is a rig.

Cheers!

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Extra holes may not be desirable. I understand where your coming from, designing/installing yacht and home systems. I don't guess you'd sell the idea to a customer, neither would I..
However, the OP didn't come in here asking for the most professional way to do it, or how it would be done on some yacht you worked on.

Your method would have him now needing to run 2 stereos to get the same music in all areas that 1 stereo covers now. (on edit, I should explain due to where I am... He'll have to run both stereos when he's parked fishing/sunbathing while listening to what those below are listening too, instead of just flipping a switch and saving that power) That's double the power consumption. Now from the other "anal" people here crying about 2 3 4 5 10 batteries not being enough, I'd think that any idea that double a given units power consumption would be taboo...

I have the inate, and aparently unique, ability to see reality. If you want to call that "riggin", then so be it. I don't require a yacht class fix for any problem/situation in my old *** fishing boat. My guess is the OP doesn't either or he wouldn't be here asking for free advice.. Otherwise he'd be paying someone to make it work any way he wanted. Maybe you, then you could justify telling him what a stupid idea the holes and switches are.

Ohh, and I've been a tile and stone contractor for 8 years... I guess I have 14 more before I know everything. :rolleyes:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its easy to find speaker A/B switches. Just use the same switch but in reverse. A goes to one stereo and B goes to the other. The common will go to the the speakers.