bow mount trolling motor-sea ray 185 fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertfish

Cadet
hi everyone,

i just purchased a minn kota terrova trolling motor with a quick release bracket and i am getting ready to install it. i am a little worried about mounting to the thin fiberglass but i have seen it done on pleasure boats. can anyone suggest a good idea for a support plate to go on the underside of the bow to support the mounting bracket. i need about an 8 x 12" support and have thought of plywood or a thick aluminum plate.

i just do not want to cause any damage to the boat but really want a trolling motor so i do not have to keep starting the motor when i get too close to the shore.

thanks for your help and advise!
desertfish

rktktpaul

Recruit
Re: bow mount trolling motor-sea ray 185 fiberglass

I'm looking to do the same for my 185 Sport. Please let me know how it turns out.

I don't think you have much to worry about regarding thin fiberglass; Sea Ray hulls are usually pretty hefty. The forward cleats have held my bow in some pretty good rollers.

You can beef up the area much like Sea Ray does for their watersports towers. Add additional layers of fiberglass mesh with epoxy, and use a steel backing plate when installing the`mount.

How much thrust does your electric motor have?? Good luck!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Using a backing plate of marine plywood under the deck is never a bad idea when installing a trolling motor on a glass boat. Trollers can produce a fair amount of fore/aft stress on the glass so regardless of strength, use a backer board and large fender washers which are available at any hardware store.

desertfish

Cadet

yes, i am going to use 3/4" plywood under the deck and use fender washers. i will use the largest piece of wood that will fit in their for support even if it is bigger than the 8" x 12" bracket.

thank you!

desertfish

Cadet

hi rktktpaul,

i think i am going to use 3/4" plywood for the support. easier to work with than steel. the motor is a minn kota terrova, 80# thrust, 54" shaft. i have the mka 32 quick release bracket w/ cover. i will install it in 1 week from now so i will l wet you know how it went.

i also installed 2, 1" rails on the sides of the walkthrough and made a carpeted board to sit on the rails. i am installing a bass seat on this carpeted board. this was better than using a huge piece of plywood for the whole area and removing all of the cushions. not so heavy either. i am only removing the front cushion. i am also making a separate cushion to set in on the rails which when added, i will have this cushion and the 2 side cushions for a bed.

i am placing 2 batteries under the carpeted board with the seat and will still have room for some storage.

thanks,

desertfish

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Have you guys ever thought of a rectangular piece of 3/4" starboard for a backing plate for the trolling motor mount?

briancut1

Recruit

How did this work out for you? I just bought a 185 LX and need to mount a trolling motor. Any pics?:D

marty1960

Recruit

Iam also interested in mounting a trolling motor on a 185 searay.Any pics would be appreciated

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This is another post dragged up from the dead. The last entry was June 30th 2010. Think he still checks back????

Jayber-MN

Recruit

Does anyone have pictures on their install? I'm planning on putting a Terrova on a 185 sport this Spring, making it convertible (hopefully no holes other than what's already there).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From our Forum Rules http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=397820

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.