Internal or External GPS antenna Fish finder ???

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Which is better. I'm mounting the unit to an unobstructed dash without a top (well I do have a Bimini). Pros and cons?

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Internal or External GPS antenna Fish finder ???

If the view to the sky is clear there is no difference.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Having had an older external GPS antenna and having upgraded to a MFD with an internal GPS antenna, I can say that the internal antenna functions noticeably better underneath my hardtop than the external antenna functioned mounted on top of the hardtop. If you like running unnecessary cables and cluttering up your boat, go with the external antenna ... otherwise go with the internal antenna. Of course if you are a belt and suspenders man, you can do both.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

will a canvas Bimini have any effect on it?

mphy98

Lieutenant

External for me. Some of the units actually have the internal anteena in the bottom back, (lowrance I believe) and I have heard other fisherman tell me about loss of signal at times. I ran mine to the stern along with the other wires. I also have accuracy within three feet. I do not think you can get that within the internal models. I have the Hummingbird with side imaging and could not be happier with the unit.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

External for me. Some of the units actually have the internal anteena in the bottom back, (lowrance I believe) and I have heard other fisherman tell me about loss of signal at times. I ran mine to the stern along with the other wires. I also have accuracy within three feet. I do not think you can get that within the internal models. I have the Hummingbird with side imaging and could not be happier with the unit.

I use my Lowrance HDS-7 (and my old LMS-522) in central BC which is not the greatest for GPS coverage as the equator is a ways away.

Zero issue with losing signal etc. and the accuracy is good. Haven't checked the EPE lately but was getting within 10 ft with my old unit. I have mine mounted on the dash so I can see it from the back of the boat. I also have a soft top. I don't know the impact of a hard top, just that Lowrance has gone pretty much to all internals, with an optional external antenna.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I run a Garmin GPS 4208 with remote antenna mounted on the top of my hardtop as my primary and have a Garmin GPS162 w/ internal as back-up. The 4208 consistently pulls more birds with better sensitivity than the 162 ever has. If nothing else I perfer the remote for the added flexibilty in my mounting location.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Generally, an ext of the same brand/model is better at reception. It will usually lock on to more birds and in less time. Some older internal units did not get good reception. Since it is in a FF, you can also mount the receiver close to the transducer to get more accurate waypoint for marking fish or structure. Downside of external is the additional wiring/mounting.

I have an internal receiver, but when it is in my prime fishing boat, it is attached to an external. The internal is good enough to use for portable operations, kayak, etc.