Opinions on handheld marine radios

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am considering the Icom IC M36 or the Uniden MHS550.

Anyone have experience with these? Any other models I should consider?

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Opinions on handheld marine radios

I'll offer my 2cents worth.

I have the Uniden MHS75 handheld radio and am very happy with it. Very solidly built and excellent battery life. Nothing cheap and flimsy about it. I was very impressed for a $149 radio.

I own an ICOM police scanner and again very happy with it. Top notch quality and performance but at a price premium. The name ICOM is synonymous with quality. You can't go wrong with an ICOM product in my opinion if you don't mind paying the extra $$$.

Splat

Lieutenant

I have a Icom M72 and love it. Build quality, and form factor are second to none. Speaker quality is incredible, and it's plenty loud, although I use a external mic most of the time. The Alpha-numeric display is a bit hard to read tho. That's my only complaint on it. I would have preferred a DOT Matrix display.

I still prefer a hard mount if the application allows.

Bill

Boatist

Rear Admiral

ICom is very good and Uniden is also good.
Important things to me are.
Is the display big enough and bright enough for me to see.
Is the Speaker big enough and Loud enough to hear out on the water while running.
I am not 18 any more so like units with bigger brighter LCD and Bigger Speakers.
A lot of the small units are hard for me to see and hear while underway.
Range is very limited as well on hand helds.

If it is your first radio and it is for your boat I would always install a fixed 25 watt radio with DSC first.

Make sure you actually see and hold the radio before you order one.

clarky711

Seaman

Does anyone have any experience with the Standard Horizon HX750S? It floats which is important to me as I kayak too, but this would also be my main radio for my 18' CC. I fish mostly in LI Sound and I think this will be a good unit for my needs (don't want a fixed unit). It seems like this is a decent unit, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge before I purchase. Thanks.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=55CDDF1874C4642B287735CB53D1B21C&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I use hand-helds a lot hunting. While a hand held is your only option for a kayak, and is better than nothing, don't get a false sense of security. when you are that low to the surface, its range is even more limited. You should probably keep it clipped to your vest, so floation isn't an important feature--being water tight (submersible) is. And by the way, nothing is waterproof. If you dunk it, open it and clean/dry it out.