Can't decide between Garmin or Raymarine.

sickdays

Recruit
I am looking to buy a chartplotter/ fishfinder for my boat. I have it narrowed down between the Garmin 546S and the Raymarine A57D. Does anyone have any experiance with any of these units or companies? My boat is a 21' Steiger Craft with the pilot house. Raymarine said its unit has a built in antenna that can read through a hard top. What is your take on this? Would I still be better off having an external antenna? Thanks in advance.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can't decide between Garmin or Raymarine.

The internal GPS antenna in my Raymarine C120W works exceptionally well, even though the unit is mounted underneath my hardtop without a clear view to the sky. As a matter of fact it, receives its satellite signals far better than my previous Raymarine unit which had an external antenna placed on top of the hardtop. As an example ... with my old stuff, when I'd pass under certain large bridges, I'd momentarily lose my GPS fix ... with the new, that doesn't happen. I think not having to purchase and install an external antenna is a big plus.

sickdays

Recruit

The internal GPS antenna in my Raymarine C120W works exceptionally well, even though the unit is mounted underneath my hardtop without a clear view to the sky. As a matter of fact it, receives its satellite signals far better than my previous Raymarine unit which had an external antenna placed on top of the hardtop. As an example ... with my old stuff, when I'd pass under certain large bridges, I'd momentarily lose my GPS fix ... with the new, that doesn't happen. I think not having to purchase and install an external antenna is a big plus.

Thanks for the info that is really good to know. I think I will try it without the external antenna then. Thats good news because that thing cost around $350.

grant2012

Recruit

I am looking to buy a chartplotter/ fishfinder for my boat. I have it narrowed down between the Garmin 546S and the Raymarine A57D. Does anyone have any experiance with any of these units or companies? My boat is a 21' Steiger Craft with the pilot house. Raymarine said its unit has a built in antenna that can read through a hard top. What is your take on this? Would I still be better off having an external antenna? Thanks in advance.

hi there, i'm a Garmin and Raymarine dealer, please give me a call on

EDIT: Contact information removed. Please read the posting guidelines.

regards Grant

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lots of experience with Garmin GPS units. All of it very satisfying.

jthughes

Recruit

With the A57D you'll also get the accuracy of WAAS with the unit as well as a better quality display. The Raymarine unit is a little higher priced but the features and quality are worth it.