Trolling motor ??? from Newbie boater.

51spanky

Recruit
At an auction yesterday, I bought a Motor Guide "Beast" 775 motor that has 65 lbs thrust. It is 24/36 volts, variable speed. Says 1993 Brunswick on motor head. About 6" out of foot control, the wiring has been cut off, (the wiring from foot control to motor head is intact and in good shape). It has red, white, and black heavy gauge wires sticking out there. It is on a Motor Guide Gator mount. After reading a few threads here, I have decided to run it on a dedicated 24 volt system, (that I will charge at home)on a 15' fishing boat. The way I see it, the red wire goes to Positive, Black wire goes to Negative. What is the white wire for? Any tips or help with anything on this motor or mounting is/will be appreciated. Or did I waste my $20? Thanks!!

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trolling motor ??? from Newbie boater.

The white wire should go to the second battery, this allows the motor to run on 12 or 24 volts. Try it, if it catches on fire, I guess I was wrong.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

First, are you certain this is 24/36 volt motor or is it a 12/24. Big difference. I find it odd that it would be a 36 volt motor yet only 65# of thrust.

51spanky

Recruit

Yes. Has a toggle switch on side of foot control to switch between 24/36 volts. Says on top of motor 65 lbs of thrust. On a web site,trollingmotors.com, shows white wire going nowhere. Probly answered my own question finding that web site, but, any other help is appreciated!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The red wire in a dual voltage system is normally the highest voltage which in your case is 36 volts. Since it takes three batteries in series to make 36 volts and you will not be using this configuration, the red wire will not be used. You need two batteries in series to make 24 volts so the issue for you is to determine whether it is the white wire or the black wire that is ground. Those two will be used for 24 volt operation and the switch obviously must also be set to 24 volts.

51spanky

Recruit

Thanks all!! I do believe I have it figured out now. Again, thanks!!:)