Rocker switch issues!!!

DKennimer

Seaman
I replaced all of my rocker switches today and I am pretty sure I did them correctly...(I did it one switch at a time, one wire at a time). When I was done, I hooked the battery back up and the light was "on" for the "Power" switch. When I turned the "power" switch to the "on position, the "Aerator" switch light came on... then when I turned the "ACC" switch on it tripped the breaker to the "pumps"??? Does anyone know what I did wrong here? I have an automatic bilge pump hooked up and I was thinking that that's why the light was on for the power switch when indeed the switch was not turned on?????
PLEASE HELP!!!

Derrick

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rocker switch issues!!!

Did the original switches have lights in them as well? Switches with internal indicator lights have a "line" (+12 volts input) and a "load" (+12 volts out) whereas a standard, non-illuminated switch can have either terminal connected to the line or load side. The ground terminal on the switch is ONLY for the light. It has nothing to do with the circuit you are powering so make sure you have that right. If you have the line and load reversed the switch will essentially work backwards where the indicator will be ON when the device is off and OFF when the device is ON.

DKennimer

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. Some of the original switches had lights in them and I replaced them with the new rubber rocker switches with lights also, the ones that didn't have lights I used switches without lights. I emailed a picture to Richard at Tiny's fiberglass repair in Longview and he shipped me the switches he felt I need and I think so also. The only problem with switching from the original style to the new rubber rocker switches was that the configuration on the back of the switches are different... I did the best I could by changing it one wire at a time. The black wire is the one that I wired to the light terminal, just like the old switch, but maybe like you said I have some of the others backwards??? Is there a way to tell with a volt meter?

Thanks again for your help!
Derrick

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is a diagram of a simple light using an illuminated switch.

LightedSwitchWiring.jpg

Note that the ground wire is ground ONLY for the internal light. Note also that the internal light gets its power from one terminal on the switch. That terminal is the LOAD side of the switch. The other terminal is the LINE (hot) side of the switch. There are only three connections here. Ground on the switch goes to ground. Look for the ground symbol on the switch. Look for a + on one of the other terminals. That will be the hot terminal. The remaining terminal goes to the light or other device the switch controls. Do one switch at a time or you will chase your butt off trying to sort this out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the switch that blows the breaker has the ground wire tied to the terminal 1 of the switch instead of terminal 3(as per Silvertip's diagram).

Be aware that switches from different vendors may have the terminals in different positions.

You should be able to identify each wire that goes to the switch. One wire will be 12V one will be ground and the other will go to the device you are trying to turn on. That's the easy part.

The next step is to determine the switch terminals. You may have to get out an ohm meter to determine that if you don't have a drawing for the switch. Most switches either come with a drawing with the package that they came with or you can go online and find what the switch terminals are.