What does VHF Channel suffix "A" mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see on a lot of marinas to call them on channels like "66A" and it is not clear to me if you can actually tune to a "sub-channel" A. It seems like this is just a formal representation on 66 for hear in the US and when calling these A channels, I should just use 66 for example.

Can someone clarify for me please since I haven't found anything on the practical usage for these A channels.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: What does VHF Channel suffix "A" mean

As I recall some channels transmit and recieve on two different frequency's even though the radio says a single channel is tuned. These are the "A" alpha channels.

22 is one of them.

I saw that on the charts and does the radio automatically adjust, meaning I only need to set my Raymarine to "22" and it handles the rest?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A or alpha is the USA setting,B or bravo is the international setting, 16 is the same on either,no the radio does not automaticaly adjust, it must be set to one or the other, if you dont know these things I sujest you take a VHF operators course

jhebert

Ensign

I see on a lot of marinas to call them on channels like "66A" and it is not clear to me if you can actually tune to a "sub-channel" A. It seems like this is just a formal representation on 66 for hear in the US and when calling these A channels, I should just use 66 for example.

Can someone clarify for me please since I haven't found anything on the practical usage for these A channels.

The VHF Marine Band radio channel plan is given in

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/vhf.htm

The suffix "A" on a channel generally denotes the use of a channel which is allocated two frequencies for duplex operation but is being used as a simplex channel on one of the frequencies, usually the lower of the paired frequencies. Also see

http://www.csgnetwork.com/marinefreqtable.html

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_VHF_radio#Marine_VHF_Channels_and_Frequencies

JeffTull

Recruit
"A" using the USA frequencies.. As example channel 22A transmits on 157.100Mhz & receives on 157.100Mhz But outside USA everybody uses Channel 22 standard meaning transmits on 157.100Mhz & receives on 161.725Mhz,,, so basically the "A" we here in US transmits & receives on same frequency.. :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Always nice to get confirmation that the answers given almost 7 years ago are still valid. Please don't reply to old, inactive threads.
It's our preference in this this forum - To let sleeping threads sleep. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.