iPhones and Navionics Charts

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Did you all know that there is a Navionics app for the iPhone 3g's?

It's like $7.00 and covers the entire east coast. Great app for a backup GPS.

There's also a photo mode that when you take a picture it embeds the GPS coordinates in the file. (Handy for marking a way point in an unobtrusive manner)

I find it useful.

Happy Boating!!!

captsmoe

Cadet
Re: iPhones and Navionics Charts

What is the difference between Navionics and iNavx?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

iNavx is a little more polished and integrates with google earth and others and it's $45.00 more. It doesn't seem to store the available charts in the device. It seems like it uses NOAA web cartography. Not sure how it works outside of 3G coverage.

Provided it works outside cell coverage; if I had to choose either for my chart-plotter I'd probably buy the iNavx. For a backup and a spare set of charts stored in the iPod the Navionics is a great deal.

On board I've used the Navionics. One nice thing, it allows you to take a picture complete with current GPS position. Guides and Captains are sure to hate this feature.

I have pictures of all my friends on their hottest fishing spots!

Cheers!!

captsmoe

Cadet

"I have pictures of all my friends on their hottest fishing spots!"

I know all your 'friends' hate your guts !!! LOL :D

captsmoe

Cadet

I have the iNavX app on my iPhone. Is it worth downloading Navionics as well? Do tide charts come with the base package? Do they cooperate in any way?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Navionics has charts and tides. Dont know about cooperation between the two apps. My guess would be no. Navionics gives extensive tide data - High, low, moon, sunrise, sunset etc...

For $9.99 its a great deal.