• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Pics: My bow mount trolling motor install

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics: My bow mount trolling motor install

I recently purchased a Minn Kota 60lb 24v trolling motor. My tri-hull doesnt have the best available area on the bow to mount the motor so I did my best.

I elected not to mount it at an angle going along the curve of the bow because I would have had to drill through where the teak wood slats are on the bow. Instead, I went with a more straight mount that does block the starboard bow seat when the motor is stowed. I'm not too worried about this because I don't allow anyone to sit in that seat when I'm steering the boat anyway. I used a piece of Ipe hardwood as the mounting plate.

Four bolts with large washers are going through the bow and bolting underneath into where the anchor is stowed. I used large 1 1/2 inch washers to provide additional support where mounted. There is existing plywood support underneath of the fiberglass cap so there is plenty of support strength. The motor is very secure and doesnt move at all.

Comments, suggestions, critics are welcome.

Thanks for looking

1979 Cobalt 18TH
    OMC 260 Engine(GM 5.7L V8)/OMC 800 Hydro-Mechanical Stringer Drive

A picture is worth a thousand words. Having a problem? A picture will get you more responses.

Re: Pics: My bow mount trolling motor install

I think you have found an excellent solution!
    Often Wrong,
    but never in doubt!

Comment

Edit/Delete: (didn't catch that you made it out of ipe, thought it was particle board )

Looks good to me.
      2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
      2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

I like your ideas , they are helping me with a similar issue . peter

Comment

Working...
        X