Furuno 1610C any good?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Furuno 1610C any good?

The quality, like all Furuno products, is second to none. However, the unit has been discontinued for sometime now. It's very slow and it does not support WAAS.

The base map on the unit is pretty useless IMHO. Requires a Furuno or Navionics map to be useful. Investigate the maps situation. It might require maps that have been discontinued as well

mattshepherd

Recruit

It has the map cards for puget sound which is what I need. I am just wondering if it is worth spending $150 on it or spend 3-400 on a newer low end model.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It has the map cards for puget sound which is what I need. I am just wondering if it is worth spending $150 on it or spend 3-400 on a newer low end model.

Depends on what you want to do with it. The Furuno is a commercial quality unit. The unit cost $1,200 -$1,400 new and it?s proven to have stood the test of time.

You can?t load video games on it or watch movies on it like some of the other unit?s advertise. But it displays a map and shows your position just as well as anything else on the market.

Personally, I?d buy the unit and spend an additional $150 for a second unit as backup before I bought a new $300 unit.

mpdcam

Cadet

I had a similar question. There is a guy selling a GP 1660-DF near me, asking $200. It includes the charts and the transducer. I am considering a Garmin 440c for around $400. I know Furuno is great stuff? Is this one worth the money or am I better going new?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I had a similar question. There is a guy selling a GP 1660-DF near me, asking $200. It includes the charts and the transducer. I am considering a Garmin 440c for around $400. I know Furuno is great stuff? Is this one worth the money or am I better going new?

Same thing here. Old techno, good solid unit. Be forewarned, Furuno sounders are not for the plug play type people.

I can best relate this to is the tone quality on a car stereo. If you?re one of those that prefers to adjust the sound quality on your stereo by picking Rock, Pop, or Classical a Furuno isn?t for you. If you?re preference is for separate tone controls, an equalizer is even better, then the Furuno is for you.

They are not very good shallow water performers. Tend to have narrow beamed transducers which when combined with shallow water don't give you very big picture of what's under the boat. It doesn't have a lot of power either so it's limited in depth as well. Should be able to see 700-800' w/o a problem

mpdcam

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I am the type of person that likes to be able to make adjustments. That doesn't bother me. I am more concerned as to whether the technology is too old. I typically stay with 3 miles of shore go depths over 800 feet aren't much of a concern. I'm not a huge fisherman either, although I am working on that. As far as under the boat, as long as the depth is accurate, that is most important to me.

Also the charts are 2003 charts. How accurate will they still be. Guess I'm mostly looking at it as short money for a great name as long as it is still useable.

Also the unit is a 1650-DF not 1660. That is a typo on my part.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Most maps have not been updated by NOAA in the past 15 years or so anyhow. If you're boating in tidal water the next good storm would most likely render them obsolete anyhow.