help me wire an illuminated rocker switch

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to wire a 2 position 3 prong illuminated rocker switch. It is made by seachoice and the package reads 2 position off-on (red). I take that to mean that the switch is lit when on and unlit when off. I can make the switch operate the component that I am wiring it to, but it will not illuminate. the switch has 2 prongs on one end numbered 1 and 4 and then one prong down the side numbered as 2. I have wired the positive wire to one of the end prongs and the negative on the side prong and the device works but yet the switch will not illuminate. What am I missing? Should there be a third wire connected to the other prong ? Thanks...Darren Mac::confused:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: help me wire an illuminated rocker switch

You described hooking up power to one tab, ground to another...you have the load that is being switched on the third right?

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice

Nope , I was treating it as a simple circuit. This isn't my thing obviously . I suppose I should treat the other terminal as my load and ground my device back to the main ground. Is that right?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

One of the tabs is for the ground. One of the tabs is for 12v. The last tab is for your load. I have a feeling you are calling your load your ground which is not correct.

The back of the package should show the pinnouts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Nope , I was treating it as a simple circuit. This isn't my thing obviously . I suppose I should treat the other terminal as my load and ground my device back to the main ground. Is that right?
What do you mean by "device"...that your switch? Is device and load the same thing the way you are describing it?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I know this isn't your exact switch but 12V goes to 2, your load goes to 3 and your ground goes to 7.

8233_8284.jpg

If you wire up 2 and 3 backwards, your light will be on all the time so just reverse. The ground on your switch will more than likely be the tab furthest from the other 2.

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice

Yes , that does sound like what I am doing. My device is a simple courtesy light with 2 wires, red and black. I had put the light in series with the switch thinking the 12 volts would also illuminate it. This circuit is straight wired through a fuse to a battery. I had made up a circuit with my wires before I install it in my boat. What would the proper way to wire this be. Should I put my red wire on a load terminal and then put my black wire also back to my ground on the battery via a splice maybe?

Bifflefan

Commander

viewed from the back holding the switch up right.
Top: 12+
Middle: Load
Bottom: Ground

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice

Holding my switch upright I have 2 pins on top numbered 1 and 4. I have one pin down on the side of the switch numbered as 2. I have a positive wire from the battery and a negative wire. My light I want to install has a red and a black wire. And I want my switch to illuminate when on. What do I do. I am trying to understand please help :confused:

Bifflefan

Commander

Ok:
1: 12v+
2: Load
4: not sure.
If it doesnt work then change the load to #4
run 12v+ to #1 and then the load off #2. also from #2 run a wire to the red wire on the light and the other light wire to ground.
this will cause the light to run when the switch is on.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I hate to see folks struggle with this stuff when the solution is so simple. Here ya go. The terminal numbers on this diagram may or may not match yours. But the key terminal is the ground terminal on the switch. Look for the ground symbol. That terminal is NOT the ground terminal for the device, it is the ground terminal for the lite in the switch.

LightedSwitchWiring.jpg

Tyme2fish

Commander

Silvertip, Thanks for coming out of retirement to help a fellow boater.

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When I said I was hanging it up I didn't mean I was going to pop a cold one, sit in my Lazy Boy and wait for the Grim Reaper to come-a-knockin'! I'm simply not going to be as active on the forums as I once was.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

When I said I was hanging it up I didn't mean I was going to pop a cold one, sit in my Lazy Boy and wait for the Grim Reaper to come-a-knockin'! I'm simply not going to be as active on the forums as I once was.

Silvertip, As much info as you have put onto this site is amazing... you are truly a generous and selfless man.