• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Need wireing diagram to set up 2 batteries and perko switch

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need wireing diagram to set up 2 batteries and perko switch

I'm not too good with diagrams anybody have a simple diagram how I should wire batteries? I have 1 battery now and going to upgrade to 2 batteries and a 3 terminal Perko switch
    thanks

JimmyNoShow

Re: Need wireing diagram to set up 2 batteries and perko switch

I don't have a diagram, but it's pretty easy;

Positive cable from first battery goes to post #1 on the switch
    Positive cable from second battery goes to post #2 on the stitch
    Starter cable from engine goes to COM (common) post on battery switch

NO negative cables connect to the switch, they are bolted to the engine.
    2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
    2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

So both grounds independant to engine? or neg to neg and 1 ground to block??
      tanks

JimmyNoShow

Comment

yes connect the neg posts on the battery together with one cable, then another cable from either battery neg post to the block.
        Sometimes when people try to save a penny, they end up spending a dollar

It is best to fully understand how to properly operate, inspect, troubleshoot and repair your equipment

Comment

Sounds simple enough to me. Hopefully get out Saturday

JimmyNoShow

Comment

Anybody tell me how to use switch?

JimmyNoShow

Comment

if you want batt one to supply power, switch on #1, if you want batt two to supply power, switch on #2. if you want both batts to supply power, switch on "all".

if it were me, i would have switch on "all" at all times. this way the alt is charging both batts while the motor is running
              Sometimes when people try to save a penny, they end up spending a dollar

It is best to fully understand how to properly operate, inspect, troubleshoot and repair your equipment

Comment

What I do with my boat is cruise on both, and when we get somewhere to anchor for a while, I switch to battery 1 to run the stereo and whatever else. When it comes time to go, flip to battery 2, fire it up, then switch it to both so both batteries charge on the run home. When on shore power, ours has a charger so the batteries stay topped off. If you go with two batteries, what I'd suggest is having one starting battery, and one deep cycle. Anchor on the deep cycle so you can run accessories for longer, then start on the starting battery when its time to go.
                1993 Rinker FiestaVee 300
                twin 5.7L/Bravo
                newly appointed with Bravo III lower units

Comment

Here is a link to a pretty good kit, if you haven't bought one already. http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/overview/329
                  Also, there is detailed diagrams and instructions.

If you're only going to add the switch, try here for instructions, etc. http://bluesea.com/products/5511e

There is plenty more, similar to the Perko's offerings on the website with wiring diagrams.

Comment

I always save one battery for starting and hook up all accessories to the second battery. When I take off in the morning after camping I'll switch to one, start and run a while on it to make sure it is full again then switch to number two that ran my accessories all night and charge it.

Comment

I think I remember reading somewhere you can do damage in a certain position? No one mentioned anything about that here

JimmyNoShow

Comment

Working...
                      X