For $5 you can download Navionics charts to your IPhone

joecooool

Cadet
I mentioned this in another thread and after a quick search, was kind of surprised that this topic hasn't been discussed here.

If you own an IPhone you can download an app from Navionics that has complete marine charts showing depth, markers, marinas, etc and it uses the phone's internal GPS to show you exactly where you are in the water.

I live in the Keys where shallow water is all over and had been looking for a marine GPS. Nothing I could find was less than $300 when loaded up with the maps I need so when I found the app in the Apple store, I wasn't expecting too much for the $4.99 cost. Thats what the whole east coast map cost.

Boy was I wrong.

This allows me to use my IPhone to track where I go, mark fishing spots, dive sites, restaurants, shows me the depth of the surrounding water, bridge clearances, even points out marinas. It gives tidal information and even allows you to take pictures and mark the spot where you took the photo. You can even email your tracking info to a friend if you want to share where the hot fishing spots are.

It is without question the best $5 I have ever spent on anything boating related. Hell, it even justified the price of the IPhone!

Here are more details on this app - http://www.navionics.com/Headlines_09.asp?ID=307

And a few other articles on it -

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2009/05/iphonetouch_nav_yet_more_news.html#more

The only thing I don't care for is that without a holder, I pretty much have to hold the thing in my hand when navigating the shallows. That and it sucks battery power, but I have a 12v outlet on the boat so even that isn't rally an issue.

For the price, I'm really surprised this hasn't been discussed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: For $5 you can download Navionics charts to your IPhone

Pretty neat gimmick but the practically of trying to navigate a boat using an overgrown postage stamp sized display that you have to hold in our hand is beyond me. :confused:

joecooool

Cadet

Pretty neat gimmick but the practically of trying to navigate a boat using an overgrown postage stamp sized display that you have to hold in our hand is beyond me. :confused:
My IPhone has a screen about the same size as my Garmin Navi.

The nice thing with the app is you can zoom in ur out to what ever distance you want.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

And you can use the suction cup phone holders that you use in the car..

Geez..I just got the new Palm Pre....wish they had this app:mad:

oursanity

Cadet

From what I understand the Iphone 3G I have uses cell towers to calculate for the GPS on the phone. So, will you be able to use the charts when out on larger lakes or the coast when out of cell tower range? Just curious, if this works I will definitely getting this app.

bhammer

Ensign

From what I understand the Iphone 3G I have uses cell towers to calculate for the GPS on the phone. So, will you be able to use the charts when out on larger lakes or the coast when out of cell tower range? Just curious, if this works I will definitely getting this app.

The iPhone 3G has GPS and will use GPS if it can find them. I have had good luck with mine on the boat. You need to turn on Location services I thikn to make GPS work.

Action

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea this looks like a great app, I am wondering though as well if I need to be on 3G in order for it to work, or are the maps already loaded on the program? I understand that the GPS won't work without a data connection. Anyone know?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Being somewhat computer slow I would like to know if there is a way to transfer this information/maps from your phone to say a Garmin GPS map 76. I can buy the maps from Garmin, but they are pricey.

joecooool

Cadet

It uses GPS. I have been ten miles off shore and it knew exactly where I was.

joecooool

Cadet

Yea this looks like a great app, I am wondering though as well if I need to be on 3G in order for it to work, or are the maps already loaded on the program? I understand that the GPS won't work without a data connection. Anyone know?
The maps are loaded into the phone.

Richiekramer

Cadet

own the new iphone and just downloaded the app. it is really nice. i am learning it. i will post again when i use it tomorrow.

Also i am sorry your phone screen is little. but my iphone is bigger then that stupid garmin everyone uses. My g/f has a garmin and an iphone. the garmin sits in the glove box

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice

That's way cool.... do the maps cover the Great Lakes? inland lakes and resevoirs? I've been using my cell phone for weather radar for over a year now... very handy.
Dave

bhammer

Ensign

It's a big download, about 425 meg. It has the maps loaded on the phone. It works just great for me as I rarley un in 3G to save battery and to stop the dropped calls.

joecooool

Cadet

That's way cool.... do the maps cover the Great Lakes? inland lakes and resevoirs? I've been using my cell phone for weather radar for over a year now... very handy.
Dave
The maps for the Great Lakes is $9.99

oursanity

Cadet

It uses GPS. I have been ten miles off shore and it knew exactly where I was.

Yep, I did a little reading and found out it uses Assisted GPS. Which means it will uses one or a combination of GPS, Wifi or cell towers to determine your location. Pretty "smart" phone.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

IS there a windows mobile version? I see hints about it but no actual download link..

Richiekramer

Cadet

It covers all waters u could possibly fish. u just gotta download all the diffrent areas. for the entire us it would be about 40-50 dollars including inner lakes and coastals

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'd been thinking about designing an app for iphones that would accomplish this for a few months now. I am not surprised that someone beat me to it since it is a great idea.

I may have to get an iphone just for this but haven't yet since I have had bad experiences with mobile electronics and boats/canoes.:D