VHF Radio & Antenna Installation Help

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to Lake Powell in August and I have been thinking that I should not venture out on such a big lake without a VHF marine radio. Today I stopped by the local Cabela's to price their radios. While in the store I went into their "Bargain Cave" (I think every Cabela's has a "Bargain Cave") and stumbled across a Uniden Solara DSC fixed mount radio. The best part was the radio was priced at $62.44, and today only all marine items in the "Bargain Cave" were 40% off. Needless to say I felt really good walking away with my first fixed mount marine radio for the whopping price of $37.46. Because this radio was in the "Bargain Cave" it does have its flaws. It did not come with a manual, but I already found a .pdf manual on the internet. It also did not come with the mounting bracket. Any ideas on where I can pick-up a suitable replacement bracket or ideas on how I can improvise the installation?

Also, now that I have a radio I need to start shopping for an antenna. I have read a lot of good things about the 5225XT, so that is what I am going to look for, it is just a matter of finding one at a good price. The boat is just a typical open bow runabout. My gunwale's are narrow and already have a lot of hardware mounted along the top, so I am concerned about how the antenna will fold down. Is it possible to mount the antenna just below the outside edge of the gunwale? If I do mount along the outside edge, I would think that the antenna needs to be supported when it is folded down. How is the best way to support the antenna when it is folded down? I would like to see some pics of antenna installations if anyone is willing to share. I would really like to seem some installations with the antenna folded down.

Please share if you have any thoughts.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: VHF Radio & Antenna Installation Help

Bend some soft aluminum flat stock into a U to make a bracket and secure the radio with bolts. The antenna mounting is questionable, a bad approach to a dock may clean it off the boat. I'd consider mounting it inside the gunnel and folding it forward for transport?? Use the antenna clips for securing the tip while transporting.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/4/2/96003antennaclips_2.JPG

Lots of various mounting solutions here --->>> http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/Antenna-Mounts.html