fish finders that measure boat speed

Grandv8

Cadet
just wondering how common of a feature this is. I would like to get one with boat speed. also about what price range do you have to get to on finders to get this feature thanks...

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fish finders that measure boat speed

Most are capable but require a special paddlewheel that goes on the transom of the boat. These are not very accurate. Get one with gps for the most accurate speeds and a lot of other cool features that I think you'll find helpful. I have a humminbird matrix 12 with gps trackplotting (which includes speed), and I have less than $250 in it. Lowrance, Garmin are also good brands.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Buying a combo GPS/Locator just to get a speed readout is a terrible waste of funds. Paddle wheel speed sensors work just fine. If one or two MPH of inaccuracy is going to ruin your day you need to find a different activity. If accuracy is of the utmost importance -- buy a handheld GPS that you can also use while hiking, biking, in your car, geocasheing etc. And it will be a lot cheaper.

jhebert

Ensign

...about what price range do you have to get to on finders to get this feature thanks...

The only SONAR that I know of that measures boat speed with a SONAR technique is the FURUNO DS-30. It is quite expensive, probably totally out of the range of anything appropriate for a recreational boat application. It's $80,000.

You are probably confusing speed measurement using a water paddlewheel with measurement by SONAR Doppler techniques. Use of SONAR Doppler speed measurement in recreational SONAR devices is completely unheard of.

You probably are looking for a speed paddlewheel sensor add-on. They usually are a few dollars extra; perhaps another $50 over the basic SONAR transducer.

Grandv8

Cadet

I don't believe I asked for a sonar reading. I am just wondering the minimum price at which this becomes a feature on the fish finder. I was always under the ideal that it would be a paddle wheel sensor. I have just a simple fish boat and don't want to clutter up the dash. I do not want to install a speedo, but would still like to have a speed readout to use for reference. The finder having it on it will just keep the dash layout that much more simple

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Eagle, Lowrance and Humminbird all have locators with speed options at less than $200.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I have a Lowrance X75 that i added the speed/temp option to & it reads within 1 1/2 mph of my GPS :) I bet the newer models are even better :rolleyes:

jhebert

Ensign

I don't believe I asked for a sonar reading.

Speed measurement using a paddlewheel is not related to the echo sounding function of a "fish finder." It's just a separate speedometer instrument included in the case of the fish finder device. Actually many fish finders units have a speedometer built into them, and they only need to have the sensor connected to enable it. The only extra cost is the price of a paddlewheel sensor.

But, again, it is not the fish finder or SONAR that is measuring the speed, it's a separate speedometer instrument built into the same housing.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just sold my son's boat with a Raymarine FF with a speed sensor paddle wheel/sonar transducer all in one. Sorry I didn't notice what model it was but couldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Price the unit with the paddle-wheel and compare to what a unit with gps costs. Some can be $40-50 for the paddle-wheel. While a paddle-wheel is good for water speed for trolling purposes, the gps land speed will come with many other features that may be more important for you.

I haven't had a paddle-wheel on a high-speed boat, but they have been accurate upto 30mph wot of my fishing boat. Also, some newer models have adjustment factors in the S/W to dial them in.

j_martin

Admiral

Eagle, Lowrance and Humminbird all have locators with speed options at less than $200.

Add another 50 bucks and you can have a late technology depth finder/gps with all the trimmings, including mapping and extremely accurate speed indication.:D

jkust

Rear Admiral

My Bottomline fishfinder retailed for 90$ and was recently purchased at the Cabela's bargain cave as a closeout for 30$. It is capable of sensing speed with the paddlewheel attachment. For 30$ it does everything I need, just not in dramatic fashion. For a more accurate speed reading than my speedo I use the GPS from my car. I will just say I prefer the speedo reading.

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just bought Loweance HDS-5 $650.00 GPS reads speed just fine also if I could figure out how to hook it up MPG,RPMS,TEMP and a host of other goodies but was quite expensive.