FloScan install

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer
Looking for some input on a FloScan install; I haven't bought it yet, but looking into it. I like the 7000 series because it will fit where my existing tach and hour meter are. I was watching the video though and it looked rather complicated to install; multiple filters, etc. I did a quick Google search and came across a post from 2006 that looked super simple: http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/check-out-my-boat/54296-floscan-installation.html
Has anyone installed one of these lately that can give me some insight into the complexity of the install?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: FloScan install

I just installed at twinscan tach and GPH meter set. It was pretty straight forward. It gave me a good oppertunity to fix the original wiring job!

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

I guess my real question is, do you have to install the surge filters, or whatever they call them? If you take a look at that link I put up, they have an inline filter, then the meter and that's it. That's what I would like to do; exactly what he's got. Is what he has similar to what you have? know yours is twin, his is single...

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

The surge filter thingy is to smooth out pulses in fuel pressure. If they say you need them you probably need them. My 1995- 150' johhnys didnt.

What is your motor?

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Mines is a 2007 Mercruiser 5.0LMPI. I thought the surge filters were for if you had a diaphragm type fuel pump, which I do not.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

The fuel injected motors can get wierd. If the fuel injection system is a loop and fuel goes from the tank to the injectors then back to the tank you need additional hardware. If there is no recirculation of fuel you just need the sender.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, interesting. I guess I need to look at my pump again, but I'm pretty sure it does not recirculate. I know for a fact it doesn't go back to the tank, there is only one line coming out of the tank; I just need to check the pump and see if it goes back, but I'm about 100% sure it does not.

So, it looks like the packaging contains the surger filters. If it turns out I don't need them, I guess I can't get just the sender and guauge?