BPS trolling motor for pontoon?

takirb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm tired of motor issues causing me to paddle. I have a 22ft pontoon, and twice i've had to either paddle it to shore or get a tow, and i've only taken it out 4 times. The latest issue was the starter. Previous problems have been fuel lines/tanks leaking, or cranking battery dead (could've used to deep cycle to crank but didn't know that at the time).

Anywho, i'd like to have a trolling motor on board as a backup if needed, and for those times that i just want to move to a different spot closeby but don't want to crank the OB for just a 30 sec move. Anyone use these TM's before?

http://tinyurl.com/mdrov7

I won't be using it very often as i don't plan to troll very often as other's do, but the peace in mind and convenience of a trolling motor would help greatly. I don't have the $ to spend on the Minn Kota 55#'er's :(

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: BPS trolling motor for pontoon?

i have a motor guide WP45 mounted center bow in my 20 ft. handles it well, as long as the wind does not get bac.

John_S

Rear Admiral

While it is always good to have another means of propulsion, I think you should invest in making sure your current engine and set-up is in tip-top shape.

takirb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unfortunately i've tried that with no success. They assured me and reassured me the boat was in tip-top shape when i bought it (customer of mine owns the boat dealership/repair shop). I took it to them once for it not idling and surging, they told me it idled fine for them (on muffs of course, they wouldn't put it in the water), and it surged 'cause the fuel tanks had leaks. Then the starter went out on me, which didn't make sense 'cause when i bought the boat, there was an old starter rolling around in the back already. I know i should find another shop, but i know nothing of the other places around here. I usually end up spending enough time with motors to work on them myself, guess that's what i'll have to do with this OB.

Thanks for info on the WP45. I'm sure the BPS unit won't be as heavy duty, but hopefully the power will work the same when needed.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I understand your delemma, but in my mind, it is not the best course of action. An unreliable boat is a disaster waiting to happen. If your car is breaking down every day, would you just buy a bike to put in the trunk? I am not trying to rag on you, only to get you to think about what might happen. A trolling motor and a fully charged battery will only give you a calm water range of approx 12 miles (if it can push that toon at 4mph). It will decrease over the life of the battery.