• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

minn kota problem

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minn kota problem

i have a minn kota maxxum 74 pound thrust, broke the skeg off, took it apart had the skeg re-welded , put the foot back to gether and the prop will spin one time and then you can just hear it hum
    what did i do wrong? the prop when you spin it by hand does not spin freely, take it back apart and can find no "binding" problems (or that I can see)
    let me know what I did wrong
    thanks

Re: minn kota problem

If you broke the skeg, you hit something hard. When you hit something hard you probably bent the shaft. Run the motor with the prop off at slow speed. Watch the end of the shaft very carefully. If it wobbles you have a bent shaft. when you put the prop on it binds every revolution.

Comment

the skeg was broken off when loading on the trailer, the foot/prop never hit anything, but Im with you I think the shaft must be bent but it will not turn but 1/2 turn before it stops again, must be bent huh?

Comment

Check it as I explained. Only then will you know.

Comment

same with prop off 1/2 turn then stops and just hums
          binding some where, will pull armature and check for bends

Comment

Did you rull the armature out before you welded the skeg?

I would woner if the excessive heat from welding could have damaged the field windings?

Comment

yes it was taken apart, just the housing was welded on with no electronics included

Comment

Working...
              X