Questions About Mounting Guest On-Board Charger

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm about to install a Guest model 2611A in my Tracker Pro 16 aluminum boat but I have some questions before proceeding.

The 6 gallon gas tank and the combo cranking/deep cycle battery are in the same compartment at the stern as indicated in the picture.

I would like to mount the charger on the back wall of the compartment. The back wall isn't visible in the picture but I've indicated the general area with an arrow.

Since the gas tank and the battery are side by side in the compartment, will it hurt to mount the charger in this same compartment? Will the charger generate enough heat to be a danger?

When charging at dockside, I intend to "prop" open the lid on the hatch a bit to allow ventilation. When charging/maintaining at the house or during the winter, I'll remove the gas tank.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to be sure before I mount the charger.

Pro16gas.jpg

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Questions About Mounting Guest On-Board Charger

As long as the charger is solid state(it should be) and potted(not necessary but always good to make it water proof) you shouldn't have any problems mounting it in the same location, and it should create anymore of a danger than you all ready have in there. The charger shouldn't create anywhere near enough heat to cause any kind of ignition danger. Plus being solid state their is nothing mechanical in the charger (contacts opening and closing) to create a spark.

Now on a side note pull the fuel tank out, and ventilate that compartment before making and connections or playing around that battery. Make sure your connections are clean, and I would apply some dielectric grease to them during the install to minimize any kind of arcing. I'm personally not a fan of having the battery and fuel tank that close, but people do it all the time.

Bill

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Questions About Mounting Guest On-Board Charger

A I'm personally not a fan of having the battery and fuel tank that close, but people do it all the time.
Bill

That's the way the boat came from Tracker. It's brand new and the battery tray and gas tank are side by side as shown. I questioned that myself when I first saw it and so I asked the dealer. He said that's the way Tracker designed this new model for 09. I'm seriously considering replacing the battery tray with a battery box just for my own piece of mind. And there are also large rubber boots that go over the wiring at the posts.

Thanks for your reply and assistance.