Minn Kota Auto Pilot

Bennettc

Seaman
What all does the auto pilot feature do? I know it will keep you going in a certain direction but how well does it handle the wind? Also will it allow you to stay somewhat stationary on a windy day? I guess it seems like a nice feature and everybody likes it alot I just don't know all of the benifits. Also does anybody know if the older trolling motors with auto pilot work as good as the newer ones?

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota Auto Pilot

You set it for the direction you want to go and it heads you in that direction and will do so regardless of wind -- within reason. I believe the newer versions have a feature that kicks the motor into high speed to keep on course and then drops back when correction is achieved. I've used power drives for years and have yet to see the need for this feature. I control where I want to be by keeping a close eye on the locator.

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Minn Kota Auto Pilot

I always use my auto pilot, but you need to keep in mind, they will only maintain the TM heading. They will not compensate for drift so you still need to pay certain attention.

So of your running parallel to the shore and the TM's auto pilot is set for a heading of north, the wind can still push the entire boat towards or away from the shore, but the motor will always point due north(or where ever you have it pointed) it's a very cool feature, but doesn't eliminate all the work.

Autopilot, combined with the co-pilot system, now your talking something special.....

BIll