fish finders

mrdude

Cadet
which is better for bottom resolution... an older hummingbird 400tx or a newer hummingbird 525 ? the 525 sells for around $129.. i'm thinking the 400tx was around $249.
any opinions are appreciated.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: fish finders

I've got the 525 and am very happy with it. Does a pretty good job of detailing the bottom features (weeds, sand, rock, logs and depth). It's not a nice as something that'll run over $250 for obvious reason, but a good solid unit. Some day I will have one of them fancy color gps fish finders.

Ian

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Why don't I get this is the right forum for you ;)

Seatbelt fastened..... quick trip :)

John_S

Rear Admiral

I think the only thing the 400TX will have over the 525 is the side beams. It can spot suspended fish in the side beams where the 525 would be blind. It can also do rudimentary side scanning with the Wide Side transducer.

I will have to check the resolution of my 400TX, but don't believe it is higher than the 240v X 240h of the 525. If anything, it is less. Last I looked, complete 400TX's were selling on ebay in the $50-75 range. It shouldn't be hard to find a 525 near $100 via discount house, given the $129 MRSP. I would choose the new unit with warrantee.

mrdude

Cadet

thank you very much john s. your answer was exactly what i was looking for. unlike the moderators .2
thought this was a forum to get answers to your questions mod:confused:

John_S

Rear Admiral

I assume you posted in another forum, and he quickly moved it to this one, where someone would be able to respond. I wouldn't take offense to that.