Radio ? - Sirius Satelite Connection to Ipod Hookup??

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When we got our boat a few weeks ago the previous owner told us he had been using Sirius Satelite radio. He removed the actual unit, but the plugs are still dangling and the receiver is still mounted on the dash.

We dont want Sirius but we DO want an auxilary input to connect an ipod to the main sound system. The head unit is a Sony CDX-L510X. We beleive all the connections from the Sirius are still intact, and one of the plugs is a 3/32" audio cable. We used an adapter to connect to a normal MP3 Auxilary plug and hooked an ipod up. Two problems:
1. We dont know how (on the head unit) to find the Sirius input mode...does Sirius have some kind of special way to get to their system??
2. Is this possible... Can we connect an ipod to the old Sirius audio input plug and have the ipod signal go through the main unit?

Sorry if this is confusing. But Ill take any help, ideas, or answers...
thanks everyone.

-CUBE-

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Radio ? - Sirius Satelite Connection to Ipod Hookup??

If the cable has a jack and is able to be pluged into the I Pod it should not matter that it was for SS radio. As for to get it to play over the main system, there should be a AUX button on the face of the head, plug the I pod in and hit the button until you hear the song. I have a set up that is prety close to yours but it was hooked up to a Xm Sat radio. Good luck

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We tried the simple stuff, ie hooking up the ipod and cycling through the modes until we hear the ipod song....the problem is that we could find an "aux mode" anywhere. It seemed like there was no mode on the head unit for a SS, but we know that there must be because the previous owner used it. there is no output or input on the front of the faceplate, but in the specs of the head unit it does say there are aux plugs in the back, so this must be where the SS is connected to...now if we can just figure out how to access it. :mad:

the cable that connected to the SS unit is a 3/32" audio plug. A standard ipod/aux plug is 1/18", this is why im wondering if simply using an adapter to connect the ipod to the SS plug will work??

but on top of that, we cant even get the stereo in the right input mode...so were at a loss.

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bumpy.

timalabim

Seaman

I don't have a Sirus but I have an XM receiver. My XM broadcasts RF to a selectable frequency to the FM receiver. Maybe that's how it was connected.

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went to the Sony site and looked at the manual for your unit. The CDX-L510X does not have a "line in" or "auxiliary" audio device input. There is a 1/8 jack on the rear but that is for the remote control sending unit.

The former owner may have had an aftermarket kit that is commonly used for satellite systems. They have a module that plugs into the radio/cd unit, sometimes between the unit and an external amp. The satellite radio unit plugs into that. This is used when there is no auxiliary audio device input (line in) or the use of an FM modulator isn't wanted.

Sony makes an auxiliary input unit and they run about 100 bucks.....yeah....Sony's revenge for World War II.....they charge a lot for something others have in their units as standard...like an auxiliary audio input.

It's the Sony XA-300. It's not rated for marine use though, so you're taking your chances with corrosion.

Last edited:

Britt Perry

Recruit

I'm a little confused... This radio is Sirius ready or has it already installed or what?

If their is an external box or whatever that processes satellite radio external to the radio, the the audio is travelling on wires from it to the head unit. Those wires more than likely are the same as the levels that the Aux input would expect to see. You could split out your 3.5 stereo jack (Like the one from your ipod) and wire straight into those wires... L/R/Gnd...

Just a thought.

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm a little confused... This radio is Sirius ready or has it already installed or what?

If their is an external box or whatever that processes satellite radio external to the radio, the the audio is travelling on wires from it to the head unit. Those wires more than likely are the same as the levels that the Aux input would expect to see. You could split out your 3.5 stereo jack (Like the one from your ipod) and wire straight into those wires... L/R/Gnd...

Just a thought.

That was my thoughts at first. So I went to the Sony site and checked the manual for his unit. It's not satellite ready. Probably an aftermarket satellite interface left behind. There are no aux audio input on his Sony, just outputs to the speakers or an amp.

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont really understand the "aftermarket input" thing. Ill look up some info on it. If you guys want I can post some pics of the unit and the different parts Im talking about so you can see exactly whats going on. It sounds like thats not going to work though. Guess well just start looking for a good deal on a new head unit with aux input.

-CUBE-

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go ahead and post some pics. You may come out with less hassle and get more enjoyment on getting a new head unit. Then sell the old one on E-Bay or Craigslist. I know JVC, Sony, and Dual all make some. And JVC and Dual have some marine units with an aux input.

timalabim

Seaman

If the Sirius receiver is the same as my XM they send to the Head unit in one of two ways. Either direct connection to an aux input through a 1/8 stereo jack. Or by RF - FM broadcast. Since you already looked up your radio and see that there is no AUX input, than the RF-FM broacast must be how the Sirius unit was sending the signal to the Head unit.

The RF - FM Broadcast gets programmed to an unused FM station with as little interference as possible.

If you go through the pre-set buttons on the Radio and find one that isn't tuned to a local station then that is probably the one that was being used for the Sirius.

You can buy a unit like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2769638

Which will do FM modulation for your Ipod with no wires.

BeeLiner*87

Cadet

Def sounds right on with that last post...
Previous owner has Sirius Unit and signal was sent to head unit via Modulation (through thin air). He took th eSirius Unit as he still has subscription and can use it elsewhere, leaving head unit in place...

Your best bet is to either pay for new head unit with aux input or get FM Modulator for Ipod and send signal to the head unit...

If you can get less used channel then you will have good tunes on the water with little to no interference.

Oh and I put 'free' car stereon in boat and it lasted one season. No short cuts on using Marine grade units unless you enclose them and shield from corrosion.

A

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I havent taken any pics...sorry this took so long to update but Ive been busy.

After hooking my ipod up to the audio imput I started searching through channels. I found that there are 5 "modes" to the head unit: FM1 FM2 FM3 AM1 and AM2
Dont ask me why or what this means. No idea.
But on one of the FM's every single preset channel was 87.5, a station that was just light static. So Im thinking this must have been the channel that was used for the Sirius. But I couldnt get any signal from my iPod on that station, or any other on any of the 5 modes. I dont know what the deal is. Ill still try to get pic of exactly what Im talking about soon, just dont want to uncover the boat till were taking it out.

-CUBE-