No Battery Box - ok >

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi

Got a 77 Glastron T179 VP130 dead battery, purchased a M34 Optima and a Group 24 battery box. The box will fit in the small spot next to the VP 130 but it toches the engine - small platform just starbord of the engine block.

Is it ok to run the battery without a box ?

The gas intake is on the opposite side - port.

Note the new battery is a AGM.

Thanks.
Ed

ebry710

Ensign
Re: No Battery Box - ok >

Hi

Got a 77 Glastron T179 VP130 dead battery, purchased a M34 Optima and a Group 24 battery box. The box will fit in the small spot next to the VP 130 but it toches the engine - small platform just starbord of the engine block.

Is it ok to run the battery without a box ?

The gas intake is on the opposite side - port.

Note the new battery is a AGM.

Thanks.
Ed

There is no rule that says you need a box around a battery. With that said, the cover keeps stuff off the top of the battery and keeps everything clean and neat. I am always afraid of shorting the battery with something.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

With no box at least get a rubber boot to completly cover the positive post so nothing can short out to the battery. Also make sure it is strapped down so it can not slide should the boat roll on it side or slowly bounce and slide toward anything that it can short out to and cause a fire.

mthieme

Captain

The box is meant to hold the acid should the battery be compromised. A battery box is like $8 at Wally world.
In MD, you'll get a ticket w/o one.
I'd have to check (I'm sure someone else will) but I think this is a USCG requirement.

Now, having said all that - how come the boxes are so cheap they crack the first time you bump them?

skargo

Banned

Wow, didn't realize they were required in MD. I just bought one for my #2 batt, guess I'll be picking one up for ol' #1 here too.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

USCG regulations do not vary by state. if MD requires one, that is not a USCG regulation. I have never heard that there are additional state regulations in addition to USCG.

Battery Boxes are a good idea. I wanted to put some in my boat, but there was insufficiant room. The hatch was just big enough for the batteries, but too small for the boxes. Go figure...

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I never heard of them being required.

I know a lot of manufacturers don't use them so that kind of doesn't make sense.

You do need to secure the battery with a hold down.

I don't think I know of one offshore go fast company that uses a box.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i have gotten stopped by police boats a few times, just to check for life jackets and what not, and they never worried at all about the battery box.
I have one battery in one, and another one not in one. There are so many things to check, that is the last thing on their mind.

I have never heard that it is the law, but if any state would have a law about that, it would be mom-land.

DNR police are more worried about saftey as far as life jackets, and proper survival gear, as well as catching too many fish/crabs. not battery boxes.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

One of the requirements to pass a CG Aux safety inspection is the battery MUST be covered. States can add to these requiements but can't take away any.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i passed a safety inspection whit one battery not in a box, and the other in a box uncovered.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no requirement for a box. The requirement is that the battery be secured, from movement in any direction. I do not have th exact wording with me, but the hold down has to be able keep the weight of the battery in place.

As far as the terminals, both negative and positive terminals, must be covered to prevent arcing.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i have neither on my boat, they are open, and uncovered.

If the boat ever flipped, i suppose they would sink to the bottom.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I was told by a guide in Canada that it is required to be in a box, and secured. they will tow you in if they want to be nasty he said.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

In MD, you'll get a ticket w/o one.

Since when? I get CG inspected every year and not one inspector has ever given a second look at my battery installation. No boxes. Batteries mounted under the rear hatchs. Terminals covered with caps.

Would have question the need for a box to prevent leakage when using sealed and AGM batteries