MINN KOTA ENDURA 30HC TROLLING MOTOR Burnout in Reverse

bufordtjustice

Recruit
:confused:

Ok here is the scenario...and let me start by saying that I have already gotten the motor replaced for free so this is entirely about my curiosity! I have this motor on a 14ft metal john boat that I fish in daily. The motor was purchased in November but not used until January. I went to put it in reverse the other day and nothing happened, no sound, no movement, nothing. I turned it off via the handle, checked the battery cables, and cut it back on in reverse again. This time after a few seconds white smoke started coming out of the wire that connects to the Negative battery post and the whole length of the cable from the motor to the battery was so hot it had begun to melt. That part I can get my head around...what I find baffling is that it still worked in Forward so I was able to make it back into the dock. However on my way there I also discovered that 2 speed was now running the same speed as 5, all other forward speeds worked properly. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Anyone know what might have caused this to occur? I have mentioned it to several of my buddies that have been fishing with hand operated trolling motors all of their lives, including one that owns a Hunting/Fishing store, and none of them had ever seen one do this. Thanks in advance!

Bill

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: MINN KOTA ENDURA 30HC TROLLING MOTOR Burnout in Reverse

Sounds like a short in the switch/speed control. My guess would be that water /or some other conductive material got across the switch leads.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Or as they say, "stuff happens". There was an obvious short in the "reverse" circuitry. On those motors some circuitry is shared between forward and reverse. Some is reverse only and some is forward only. The problem occurred in the reverse mode but it took some of the forward circuitry with it.

robjr100

Recruit

I have a 34lb thrust Cabela Minn Kota I just bought.It has been working fine untill today.The foward (5)drives quit working altogether but the 3 reverse drives work fine.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you just bought it, it's under warranty -- let the manufacturer tell you whats wrong.

bogamilsan

Recruit
The exact thing happened to my minn kota that I bought used. The problem was that the black and ground wiring was wrong in the top unit. So instead of juicing the black wire in reverse it was juicing directly back to the battery causing the meltdown. Definitely the previous owner didn't put it back together right.

After swapping the wires, all is good!

Minn kota endura 28lbs thrust.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please don't reply to old topics with no activity in excess of 90 days. Five years is old!